Ornamental Map Of The United States & Mexico. Map Of The United States And Mexico Including Oregon, Texas and the Californias. Entered ... 1848, by Ensigns & Thayer ... New York. Published by Ensign & Thayer, 50 Ann Street New York. And 12 Exchange St., Buffalo. Sowle & Ward, 43 Cornhill, Boston. Rufus Blanchard: Cincinatti [cartographic material].
- New York : Ensign, Thayer, & Co ; Cincinnati : Rufus Blanchard ; Boston : Sowle & Ward, 
- Physical description
- 1 map ; 78 x 56 cm
Also available at
At the library
David Rumsey Map Center
All items must be viewed on site
Request items by Noon (12p) the day before your visit to allow for retrieval by staff. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|G3301.R1  .E5||In-library use|
Item belongs to a collection
The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials., The David Rumsey Map Collection was started in the mid 1980s and contains more than 150,000 maps. The collection focuses on rare 16th to 21st century maps of North and South America, the World, Asia, Africa, Europe, and Oceania. The collection includes atlases, wall maps, globes, school geographies, pocket maps, books of exploration, maritime charts, and a variety of cartographic materials.
- Digital collection
- 68645 digital items
- Corporate Author
- Ensigns & Thayer.
- Military maps > United States > 19th century.
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 > Maps > 19th century.
- United States > Maps > 19th century.
- Oregon > Maps > 19th century.
- Texas > Maps > 19th century.
- California > Maps > 19th century.
- Mexico > Maps > 19th century.
- Local subject
- The David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Publication date
- Map Data
- Scale 1:13,000,000.
- Compare to 1846, '47 Ornamental Map by H. Phelps. This copy is the same as the Streeter 3872, but a slight variant of the Wheat Gold 38 (Changes in the Cincinnati, Boston and Buffalo addresses). Wheat suggests that the map is a cerograph or a wood cut - we believe it is a cerograph. This piece celebrates the U.S. victory over Mexico and shows graphically the growth of U.S. territory from coast to coast. Views of the Contemplated Oregon Railroad from New York to the Pacific Coast, Portraits of Generals Taylor and Scott, etc. A table of Distances in Mexico is in the lower right corner of the map. Rufus Blanchard's name appears in the lower left under the Great Temple. There was an edition of 1855 by Ensign, Bridgman and Fanning (see our copy and see Streeter 3892 for 1854, also by EB&F). Full color.
- References: Wheat Gold 38;Streeter 3872.
- Separate Map.
- Pub list no.: 2914.000.
Browse related items
Start at call number: