Not a toy, but a tool : an educator's guide for understanding and using iPads
- Carrie Thornthwaite.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 186 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1028.5 .T515 2014||Unknown|
- Thornthwaite, Carrie, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 175-179) and index.
- Contents Preface Acknowledgements Introduction Chapter 1 - Turning a Toy into a Tool Introduction What Exactly is an iPad? Why Should Educators Want to Use iPads? How Can an iPad be Used in the Classroom? 1-to-1 Initiatives Classroom Set of iPads Small Number of iPads The iPad as a single device in the classroom Reflections on Chapter 1 Chapter 2 - Apps & Techniques for All Subject Areas Introduction Built-in Camera apps Built-in Camera app Photos Apps Text of Photo Presentation apps Educreations Prezi Note taking Evernote File sharing DropBox Social Learning platforms Edmodo Schoology Reflections on Chapter 2 Chapter 3 - Apps & Techniques for All Subject Areas, Part 2 Introduction Quiz maker & Game apps Socrative Quizzam! Enhance Learning with Audio Audio Memo Dragon Dictation Video Conferencing Skype Annotating Shapes, Images & Videos Skitch Presentation Assisting apps iPrompt Pro BrainPop Teacher Tools Teacher Kit Free Professional Development Khan Academy iTunes U TED Final Two - One for Fun and One Not Qrafter Common Core Reflections on Chapter 3 Chapter 4 - Teaching Language Arts with the iPad Introduction Apps and Lessons for Elementary Students (K-4) Word Wall HD Abby - Animals Phonics Island Adventure Abby Pal Tracer - ABC Cursive HD Spelling with Cimo - Lite Booksy: Learn to Read Platform for K-2 Apps and Lessons for Middle School Students (5-8) Dictionary.com Dictionary & Thesaurus for iPad Free Books - 23,469 classics to go My Grammar Lab Intermediate Maxjournal Subtext Apps and Lessons for High School Students (9-12) English Grammar Vocabulary for GRE, SAT, ACT, GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL, ESL, English, Language, Education, Words, Word Power, Exercise SwipeSpeare - Modern Shakespeare Constitution and Federalist Papers iDeas for Writing Reflections on Chapter 4 Chapter 5 - Teaching Social Studies with the iPad Introduction Apps and Lessons for Elementary Students (K-4) Geomaster Plus US Stack the States Early Jamestown ABE APP Tiny Countries Apps and Lessons for Middle School Students (5-8) World Book - This Day in History Lewis & Clark TapQuiz Maps The Revolution: Interactive Guide History 3D: Civil War Apps and Lessons for High School Students (9-12) Timeline - U.S. History National Archives DocsTeach Google Earth Flow of History 1st Ed Manual for the United States of America Apps appropriate for the History class, but described elsewhere Additional Highly Rated History Apps Reflections on Chapter 5 Chapter 6 - Teaching Foreign Languages with the iPad Introduction Apps for Teaching & Learning Spanish Learn Spanish - MindSnack ConjuVerb Free Spanish English Dictionary TeleSUR Apps for Teaching & Learning French Learn French with busuu! French FREE 24/7 Language Learning Additional Highly Rated Apps for Teaching French Apps for Teaching & Learning German Learn German - Wie Geht's Die Der Das German Nouns Lite Additional Highly Rated Apps for Teaching German Apps for Teaching & Learning Latin Latin + Latin Additional Highly Rated Apps for Teaching Latin Apps for Teaching & Learning Chinese Fun Chinese - Mandarin Chinese language learning for kids Easy Chinese Writing - yi er san... I write Additional Highly Rated Apps for Teaching Chinese Apps for Teaching & Learning American Sign Language Learn American Sign Language Baby Sign and Learn Additional Highly Rated Apps for Teaching ASL Selection of Apps for other Languages Apps appropriate For Foreign Language classroom, but described elsewhere Reflections on Chapter 6 Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- iPads are powerful tools for engaging students, encouraging creativity, stimulating critical thinking, and making significant strides in learning. This book is part of a two book set that will allow educators to realize the full potential of the iPad. Over 200 highly rated apps are covered with specific ideas for classroom activities and teaching strategies. Descriptions include ideas for using iPads in classrooms where each student owns an iPad, as well as where there is just a small number of iPads or even just a single device. The first chapter of this book supports the effectiveness of iPads, focusing on what the iPad is, why is should be used and how it can be used. Then two chapters are dedicated to apps that are valuable for all subject areas. The last three chapters focus on apps appropriate for use in the humanities classrooms. In consideration of education budgets, all the apps are free or low cost. The information in this book is appropriate for K12 teachers, university professors, media specialists, K12 administrators, parents and students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781475809398 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475809395 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475809404 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475809409 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475809411 (electronic : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: