The student leadership challenge : five practices for becoming an exemplary leader
- James Kouzes and Barry Posner.
- Second edition.
- San Francisco : The Leadership Challenge, a Wiley brand, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 285 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2346 .K68 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface: Making Extraordinary Things Happen with Others xi 1 Introduction: When People Are at Their Best as Leaders 3 The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership PRACTICE 1: MODEL THE WAY 2 Commitment #1: Clarify Values 22 Find Your Voice Affirm Shared Values 3 Commitment #2: Set the Example 40 Live the Shared Values Teach Others to Model the Values PRACTICE 2: INSPIRE A SHARED VISION 4 Commitment #3: Envision the Future 66 Imagine the Possibilities Find a Common Purpose 5 Commitment #4: Enlist Others 89 Appeal to Common Ideals Animate the Vision PRACTICE 3: CHALLENGE THE PROCESS 6 Commitment #5: Search for Opportunities 114 Seize the Initiative Exercise Outsight 7 Commitment #6: Experiment and Take Risks 136 Generate Small Wins Learn from Experience PRACTICE 4: ENABLE OTHERS TO ACT 8 Commitment #7: Foster Collaboration 164 Create a Climate of Trust Facilitate Relationships 9 Commitment #8: Strengthen Others 186 Enhance Self-Determination Coach for Competence and Confi dence PRACTICE 5: ENCOURAGE THE HEART 10 Commitment #9: Recognize Contributions 212 Expect the Best Personalize Recognition 11 Commitment #10: Celebrate the Values and the Victories 234 Create a Spirit of Community Get Personally Involved 12 A Call to Action for Young Leaders 257 Your Continuing Leadership Journey Acknowledgments 269 About the Authors 273 Index 277.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118390078 20180530
- Publisher's Summary
- Note from the publisher: This edition includes an access code so students can take the Student Leadership Practices Inventory Self Online, a brief, 30-question assessment to help them explore their own leadership behaviors and skills and determine the steps they can take to liberate the leader within and become their best selves. If you rent or purchase a used book, the access code may have been redeemed previously and will no longer work. In this updated and expanded second edition of The Student Leadership Challenge, James Kouzes and Barry Posner apply their extensive research and expertise to demonstrate that anyone can be a leader, regardless of age or experience. They challenge high school and undergraduate college students to examine their leadership actions and aspirations. Your students will learn from first-hand leadership stories from young leaders like themselves around the world, helping them to deeply understand and explore The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership: Model the Way Inspire a Shared Vision Challenge the Process Enable Others to Act Encourage the Heart The book guides students through the concrete actions they can take to become exemplary leaders, from finding their voice and clarifying their values, to recognizing others' contributions and celebrating others victories. The authors ask readers to reflect at the end of each chapter on their own leadership experiences and abilities now and for the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118390078 20180530
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Available in another form
- Online version: Kouzes, James M., 1945- Student leadership challenge Second edition. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass,  ( 9781118602539 )
- 9781118390078 (pbk.)
- 1118390075 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: