The student leadership challenge : five practices for becoming an exemplary leader
- Kouzes, James M., 1945- author.
- Second edition.
- San Francisco : The Leadership Challenge, a Wiley brand, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 285 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
LB2346 .K68 2014
- Unknown LB2346 .K68 2014
- Posner, Barry Z., author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface: Making Extraordinary Things Happen with Others xi 1 Introduction: When People Are at Their Best as Leaders 3 The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership PRACTICE 1: MODEL THE WAY 2 Commitment #1: Clarify Values 22 Find Your Voice Affirm Shared Values 3 Commitment #2: Set the Example 40 Live the Shared Values Teach Others to Model the Values PRACTICE 2: INSPIRE A SHARED VISION 4 Commitment #3: Envision the Future 66 Imagine the Possibilities Find a Common Purpose 5 Commitment #4: Enlist Others 89 Appeal to Common Ideals Animate the Vision PRACTICE 3: CHALLENGE THE PROCESS 6 Commitment #5: Search for Opportunities 114 Seize the Initiative Exercise Outsight 7 Commitment #6: Experiment and Take Risks 136 Generate Small Wins Learn from Experience PRACTICE 4: ENABLE OTHERS TO ACT 8 Commitment #7: Foster Collaboration 164 Create a Climate of Trust Facilitate Relationships 9 Commitment #8: Strengthen Others 186 Enhance Self-Determination Coach for Competence and Confi dence PRACTICE 5: ENCOURAGE THE HEART 10 Commitment #9: Recognize Contributions 212 Expect the Best Personalize Recognition 11 Commitment #10: Celebrate the Values and the Victories 234 Create a Spirit of Community Get Personally Involved 12 A Call to Action for Young Leaders 257 Your Continuing Leadership Journey Acknowledgments 269 About the Authors 273 Index 277.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In this updated and expanded second edition of The StudentLeadership Challenge, James Kouzes and Barry Posner apply theirextensive research and expertise to demonstrate that anyone can bea leader, regardless of age or experience. They challenge highschool and undergraduate college students to examine theirleadership actions and aspirations. Your students will learn fromfirst-hand leadership stories from young leaders like themselvesaround the world, helping them to deeply understand and explore TheFive Practices of Exemplary Leadership(R): * Model the Way * Inspire a Shared Vision * Challenge the Process * Enable Others to Act * Encourage the Heart The book guides students through the concrete actions they cantake to become exemplary leaders, from finding their voice andclarifying their values, to recognizing others' contributionsand celebrating others' victories. The authors ask readers toreflect at the end of each chapter on their own leadershipexperiences and abilities now and for the future. NEW! This edition also includes an access code so studentscan take the Student Leadership Practices Inventory(R) SelfOnline, a brief, 30-question assessment to help them exploretheir own leadership behaviors and skills and determine thesteps they can take to liberate the leader within and become theirbest selves.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- James Kouzes and Barry Posner.
- Available in another form
- Online version: Kouzes, James M., 1945- Student leadership challenge Second edition. San Francisco : Jossey-Bass,  9781118602539 (DLC) 2014003576
- 9781118390078 (pbk.)
- 1118390075 (pbk.)