Wise Latinas : writers on higher education
- edited and with an introduction by Jennifer De Leon.
- Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xiv, 223 pages ; 22 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC2670.6 .W57 2014||Unknown|
- De Leon, Jennifer, 1979-
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- College can be a complex time for Latinas, who are traditionally expected to leave home when they get married. In her essay "Only Daughter, " author Sandra Cisneros remarks, "After four years in college and two more in graduate school, and still no husband, my father shakes his head even now and says I wasted all that education." Wise Latinas is a collection of personal essays addressing the varied landscape of the Latina experience in higher education. For some Latinas, college, where they are vastly underrepresented, is the first time they are immersed in American culture outside their homes - and where the values of two cultures often clash. Wise Latinas is in part a response to this widening gap. Featuring acclaimed writers such as Sandra Cisneros, Norma Cantu and Julia Alvarez, to name a few, Wise Latinas shows that there is no one Latina college experience. With thoughtful and engaging pieces, Wise Latinas provides a platform for Latina writers to share their experiences in higher education and gives a voice to the many Latina women who have taken risks; embraced the new, confronted change; and maintained (and in some cases found) their roots.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780803245938 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780803245938 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0803245939 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: