Darwin's On the origin of species : a modern rendition
- Duzdevich, Daniel.
- Bloomington, Indiana : Indiana University Press, 
- Physical description
- xxix, 313 pages ; 23 cm
QH366.2 .D89 2014
- Unknown QH366.2 .D89 2014
- Judson, Olivia.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 305-307) and index.
- Foreword by Olivia Judson A Note to the Reader Acknowledgments On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life (1859) by Charles Darwin Introduction Chapter 1: Variation under Domestication Chapter 2: Variation in Nature Chapter 3: The Struggle for Existence Chapter 4: Natural Selection Chapter 5: Variation Chapter 6: Difficulties with the Theory Chapter 7: Instinct Chapter 8: Hybrids Chapter 9: The Imperfection of the Geological Record Chapter 10: The Succession of Organisms in the Geological Record Chapter 11: The Geographical Distribution of Life Chapter 12: Geographical Distribution of Life, Continued Chapter 13: Affinities between Organisms-- Morphology, Embryology, and Rudimentary Organs Chapter 14: Summary and Conclusion Notes Recommended Further Reading Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Charles Darwin's most famous book On the Origin of Species is without question, one of the most important books ever written. While even the grandest works of Victorian English can prove difficult to modern readers, Darwin wrote his text in haste and under intense pressure. For an era in which Darwin is more talked about than read, Daniel Duzdevich offers a clear, modern English rendering of Darwin's first edition. Neither an abridgement nor a summary, this version might best be described as a "translation" for contemporary English readers. A monument to reasoned insight, the Origin illustrates the value of extensive reflection, carefully gathered evidence, and sound scientific reasoning. By removing the linguistic barriers to understanding and appreciating the Origin, this edition aims to bring 21st-century readers into closer contact with Darwin's revolutionary ideas.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Daniel Duzdevich ; with a foreword by Olivia Judson.
- Title Variation
- On the origin of species
- Related Work
- Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882. On the origin of species.
- 9780253011664 (cl : alk. paper)
- 0253011663 (cl : alk. paper)
- 9780253011701 (pb : alk. paper)
- 0253011701 (pb : alk. paper)
- 9780253011749 (e-book)
- 9781306457781 (MyiLibrary)