FirstSchool : transforming PreK-3rd grade for African American, Latino, and low-income children
- New York, NY : Teachers College Press, Columbia University, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- x, 227 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Early childhood education series (Teachers College Press)
LC4091 .F46 2014
- Unknown LC4091 .F46 2014
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 187-207) and index.
- The groundswell for transforming prekindergarten through 3rd grade / Gisele M. Crawford, Carolyn T. Cobb, Richard M. Clifford, and Sharon Ritchie
- Reinvigorating professionalism: involving teachers in establishing a culture for reform / Laura Gutmann and Sam Oertwig
- A culture of collaborative inquiry / Adam L. Holland, Gisele M. Crawford, Sharon Ritchie, and Diane M. Early
- The promise of curricula / Sam Oertwig, Cristina Gillanders, and Sharon Ritchie
- Improving instruction / Sam Oertwig and Adam L. Holland
- Home and school partnerships: raising children together / Cristina Gillanders, Iheoma Iruka, Cindy Bagwell, Jenille Morgan, and Sandra C. García
- Looking forward: program and policy considerations / Carolyn T. Cobb and Richard M. Clifford
- Directions for the future / Sharon Ritchie.
- Publisher's Summary
- FirstSchool is a groundbreaking framework for teaching minority and low-income children. This work discusses the research and practice to date that defines "FirstSchool" as a critical approach to closing the achievement and opportunity gaps. Changing the conversation from improving test scores to improving school experiences, it features lessons learned from eight elementary schools whose leadership and staff implemented sustainable changes in their classrooms and schools. The authors detail how to use education research and data to provide a rationale for change; how to promote professional learning that is genuinely collaborative and respectful; and how to employ developmentally appropriate teaching strategies that focus on the needs of minority and low-income children. Book Features: Case studies illustrating developmentally appropriate practices that can be applied across varied PreK-3 contexts. Key principles used by FirstSchool and its partners to reinvigorate the professionalism of teachers.< /li> Concrete guidance for choosing and using relevant data, enriching the curriculum, improving instruction, and developing home-school partnerships..
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Sharon Ritchie, Laura Gutmann ; foreword by Aisha Ray.
- Title Variation
- First School
- Early childhood education series
- 9780807754818 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0807754811 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780807772423 (ebook)