The forefront of international higher education : a festschrift in honor of Philip G. Altbach
- Alma Maldonado-Maldonado, Roberta Malee Bassett, editors.
- Dordrecht : Springer, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 329 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 24 cm.
- Higher education dynamics ; v. 42.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2324 .F67 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Introduction-- Alma Maldonado-Maldonado and Roberta Malee Bassett.- 1. The Complexity of Higher Education. A Career in Academics and Activism-- Philip G. Altbach.- PART 1: Academic Profession.- 2. Academe: A Profession Like No Other-- James J.F. Forest.- 3. How Does National Context Shape Academic Work and Careers? The Prospects for Some Empirical Answers-- Martin Finkelstein.- 4. Academic Drift in Brazilian Education-- Simon Schwartzman.- PART 2: Internationalization of Higher Education.- 5. Is Internationalization Having an Identity Crisis?-- Jane Knight.- 6. The Different Faces and Phases of Internationalization of Higher Education-- Hans de Wit.- 7. Internationalization Revisited-- Patti McGill Peterson and Robin Matross Helms.- PART 3: Academic Mobility.- 8. Redefining Academic Mobility: From the Pursuit of Scholarship to the Pursuit of Revenue-- Liz Risberg and Laura Rumbley.- 9. Academic Mobility as Social Mobility (or, the Point of No Return)-- Alma Maldonado-Maldonado.- PART 4: Regional Perspectives.- 10. The Impact of Convergent Higher Education Reforms in Europe-- Ulrich Teichler.- 11. Research Universities in Latin America: Public Policy and Political Constrains-- Jorge Balan.- 12. Phillip G. Altbach, Research Universities, and African Higher Education-- Jose Cossa--- 13. The Development of Private Higher Education in Japan since the 1960s: A Re-Examination of a Center-Periphery Paradigm-- Akiyoshi Yonezawa.-14. Whither Innovations in Higher Education in India-- N. Jayaram.- PART 5: Global Perspectives.- 15. Global Diversity: Emerging Trends-- Heather Eggins.- 16. International Quality Assurance: Where Have We Been and Where are We Going?-- Judith Eaton.- 17. Tuition Fees, Student Loans, and Other Manifestations of Cost-sharing around the World: Variations and Misconceptions-- Bruce Johnstone.- 18. The Contribution of Universities to Innovation: Insights from a Comparative Study of the Leading OECD Nations-- David Dill and Frans van Vught.- 19. International Higher Education: Bridging Academia and Global Policy Development at the World Bank-- Roberta Malee Bassett and Jamil Salmi--- PART 6: World-Class Universities.- 20. Forms of Capitalism and Creating World-Class Universities-- Jennifer Olson and Sheila Slaughter.- 21. Development and Prospect of World-Class Universities in East Asia and Beyond-- Qi Wang and Nian Cai Liu.- 22. Aspiring to 'World Class' Universities in Australia: A Global Trend with Intended and Unintended Consequences-- Lesley Vidovich and Jan Currie.- PART 7: Philip G. Altbach-The Teacher.- 23. Philip Altbach: Through the Eyes of His Students-- David Stanfield.- 24. Final Remarks-- Roberta Malee Bassett and Alma Maldonado.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789400770843 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- This book honors the academic trajectory and global impact of Philip G. Altbach, one of the most important education comparativists worldwide for over forty years. From his early writings on India and student activism to his recent work on research universities, Altbach has served as a key developer of the expansion of the field to include comparative higher education. His capacity to find, support, and gather the best minds around the world, to organize research teams in order to explore the most relevant issues on comparative higher education has earned him international recognition. His service to the field of comparative higher education is invaluable and incomparable. This festschrift contains original pieces from colleagues and former students following a twofold discussion: the most relevant topics on comparative higher education and particular Altbach's contributions to this field of work.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789400770843 20160613
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Higher education dynamics, 1571-0378 ; volume 42
Browse related items
Start at call number: