Precision agriculture for sustainability and environmental protection
- edited by Margaret A. Oliver, Thomas F. A. Bishop, and Ben P. Marchant.
- Abingdon, Oxon : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- xvii, 283 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Earthscan food and agriculture.
Biology Library (Falconer)
|S494.5 .P73 P725 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Part 1: Precision Agriculture and Food Security 1. An Overview of Precision Agriculture M. A. Oliver 2. The Role of Precision Agriculture in Food Production and Security J. L. Hatfield and N. R. Kitchen 3. Improving Food Security Through Increasing the Precision of Agricultural Development A. Gassner, R. Coe and F. Sinclair Part 2: Techniques 4. Rational Management Decisions from Uncertain Spatial Data B.P. Marchant, A.G. Dailey and R. Webster 5. Applications of Remote Sensing in Precision Agriculture for Sustainable Production P.G. Carter and S. L. Young 6. Proximal Sensing R. A. Viscarra Rossel and V. I. Adamchuk 7. Spatio-temporal Analysis to Improve Agricultural Management A. Horta and T. F. A. Bishop Part 3: Management 8. Site-specific Management and Delineating Management Zones D. L. Corwin 9. Precision Weed Management R. Gerhards 10. Site-Specific Irrigation Water Management R. G. Evans and E. J. Sadler 11. The Economics of Precision Agriculture B. P. Marchant, M. A. Oliver, T. F. A. Bishop and B. M. Whelan 12. Spatially Distributed Experimentation: Tools for the Optimization of Targeted Management R. G. V. Bramley, R. A. Lawes and S. E. Cook Part 4: Case Studies CS1. Sampling and Mapping in Precision Agriculture M. A. Oliver CS2. Precision Agriculture in Sugarcane Production J. P. Molin, G. Portz and L. R. do Amaral CS3. Precision Rice Farming for Small-Scale Paddy Fields in Asia B-W. Lee and K-J. Lee CS4. Farmer Perceptions of Precision Agriculture for Fertilizer Management of Cotton R. K. Roberts, J. A. Larson, B. C. English and J. C. Torbet Future Prospects M.A. Oliver, T.A. F. Bishop and B.P. Marchant.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Precision agriculture (PA) involves the application of technologies and agronomic principles to manage spatial and temporal variation associated with all aspects of agricultural production in order to improve crop performance and environmental quality. The focus of this book is to introduce a non-specialist audience to the the role of PA in food security, environmental protection, and sustainable use of natural resources, as well as its economic benefits. The technologies covered include yield monitors and remote sensing, and the key agronomic principles addressed are the optimal delivery of fertilizers, water and pesticides to crops only when and where these are required. As a result, it is shown that both food production and resource efficiency can be maximized, without waste or damage to the environment, such as can occur from excessive fertilizer or pesticide applications. The authors of necessity describe some technicalities about PA, but the overall aim is to introduce readers who are unfamiliar with PA to this very broad subject and to demonstrate the potential impact of PA on the environment and economy. The book shows how farmers can place sustainability of the environment at the centre of their operations and that this is improved with the application of PA. The range of topics described includes sampling and mapping, weed and pest control, proximal and remote sensing, spatio-temporal analysis for improving management, management zones and water management. These are illustrated with case studies on sampling and mapping, biofuels from sugar cane and maize, paddy rice cultivation, and cotton production. Chapter 3 of this book is available for free in PDF format as Open Access at www.tandfebooks.com. It has been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non Commercial-No Derivatives 3.0 license.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Earthscan food and agriculture series
- 9780415504409 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 9780203128329 (ebk : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: