Using primary sources : hands-on instructional exercises
- Anne Bahde, Heather Smedberg, and Mattie Taormina, editors.
- Santa Barbara, California : Libraries Unlimited, an imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 170 pages : illustrations, maps ; 28 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 159-161) and index.
- Windows to the Past : Postcards and Visual Literacy / Joanne Archer
- Approaching the Book as an Artifact / Kelli Hansen
- Our School Song : Using Sound Recordings & Sheet Music to Explore Historical Music / Leah Hoblit and Lisa Sjoberg
- Start to Finish : Learning the Primary Source Research Process in 50 Minutes / Maggie Kopp
- Infinitely Adaptable : Using Objects to Promote Inquiry-Based Learning / Lauren Silver, Ph.D.
- Peer Learning with Primary Sources / Heather Smedberg
- Working Backwards : Starting with an Endnote to Teach Primary Source Research Skills / Jenny Swadosh
- Taking Sides : Using Debate to Understand Evidence and Bias in Primary Sources / Anne Bahde
- Match Game : Pairing Primary Sources to Potential Research Topics / Anne Bahde
- Shopping for The Medici : Student Collectors and Authentic Use / Jason Bocko
- The Big and the Small of It : Engaging Large Groups with Small Details Erika Boeckeler, Michelle Romero, and Amanda Rust
- Quick Curation : Building Analytical Skills Through Context and Juxtaposition / Peter Carini
- History Sleuths / Christine de Catanzaro, Wendy Hagenmaier, Mandi Johnson, & Jody Thompson
- Reaching Back, Reaching Out : Innovation and Experimentation in the World of Special Collections / Lori Dekydtspotter and Cherry Williams
- Exploring Personal Experience through Diaries and Memoirs / Erin Dix
- The Ice House Mystery : Pairing Primary and Secondary Sources to Teach Place-based Research / Prudence Doherty
- Finding Hidden Personal Stories in Legal and Financial Records / Julie Golia and Robin M. Katz
- The Dating Game / Will Hansen
- Prioritizing Privacy v. Access : Primary Sources in the Digital Age / Sean Heyliger and Juli McLoone
- Book Illustration and Cultural Change : Reading Visual Images in Context / Barbara Hochman
- Picturing the Past : Introducing Special Collections Research Through Photographs / Sarah Horowitz
- Finding Fun with Finding Aids / Greg Kocken
- Deconstructing Description : Teaching Archival Literacy through Finding Aids / Rebecca Larson-Troyer
- Printing ABCs : A Hands-On Printmaking Activity for Children / Melissa Nykanen
- Covered with Culture : Finding Meaning on a Stick / Jay Satterfield
- Searching for Primary Sources : An Introduction to Using Special Collections Discovery Tools / Lisa Schoblasky and Autumn Mather
- Building Books and Breaking them Down : Using Historic Materials to Teach Modern Preservation / Jennifer K. Sheehan
- Exploring Artists' Books / Heather Smedberg
- Engage those Senses! : The Surrogate is Not Enough / Mattie Taormina
- Judging a Book by Its Cover / Mattie Taormina.
- Publisher's Summary
- Special collections librarians and archivists in academic settings are often confronted with the challenge of teaching classes outside their personal area of expertise, with very little notice or guidance-as the authors of this book can attest. Using Primary Sources: Hands-On Instructional Exercises features 30 adaptable, hands-on exercises that special collections librarians, archivists, museum professionals, and teaching faculty can use in a multitude of instructional situations with K-12, undergraduate, graduate, and library school students. The exercises teach lessons in both archival intelligence-such as building skills in using finding aids and locating primary sources-and artifactual literacy, such as building skills in interpretation and analysis of primary sources. Each exercise includes sections for audience, subject area, and materials used so that instructors can find customizable, easy-to-follow "recipes" to use regardless of personal experience and expertise. In addition, this consultable reference resource includes a bibliography of readings related to instruction in special collections, archives, and museum environments.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610694346 20160613
- Research > Methodology > Study and teaching (Higher)
- Research > Methodology > Study and teaching.
- History > Sources > History > Sources.
- Information literacy > Study and teaching.
- Visual literacy > Study and teaching.
- Libraries > Special collections.
- Archives and education.
- Museums > Educational aspects.
- Academic libraries > Relations with faculty and curriculum.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781610694346 (pbk.)
- 1610694341 (pbk.)
- 9781610694353 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: