Handbook of research on special education teacher preparation
- edited by Paul T. Sindelar, Erica D. McCray, Mary T. Brownell, and Benjamin Lignugaris/Kraft.
- New York, NY : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxvii, 495 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3969.45 .H354 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1 The Policy and Economic Contexts of Teacher Education By Paul T. Sindelar, Leah Wasburn-Moses, Rachel A. Thomas, and Christopher D. Leko Chapter 2 Federal Support for Personnel Development in Special Education: Where We've Been, Where We Are, and a Look to the Future By Jeannie Kleinhammer-Tramill, Ann Mickelson, and Joshua Barton Chapter 3 Patterns of Licensure for Special Education Teachers By William L. Geiger, Ann M. Mickelson, Debra McKeown, Joshua Barton, Jeannie Kleinhammer-Tramill, and Trisha D. Steinbrecher Chapter 4 Preparing Teachers to Work with Students with Disabilities: An International Perspective By Lani Florian Chapter 5 Teacher Demand, Supply, and Shortage in Special Education: A National Perspective By Erling E. Boe Chapter 6 Recruiting and Retaining Teachers and Administrators in Special Education By Bonnie S. Billingsley, Jean Crockett, and Margaret L. Kammen Chapter 7 Equity Challenges in the Accountability Age: Demographic Representation and Distribution in the Teacher Workforce By Elizabeth Kozleski, Alfredo J. Artiles, Erica D. McCray, and Lisa Lacy Chapter 8 Examining Indicators of Teacher Education Program Quality: Intersections between General and Special Education By Linda P. Blanton, James McLeskey, and Kristina Hernandez Chapter 9 Working Together: Research on the Preparation of General Education and Special Education Teachers for Inclusion and Collaboration By Marleen C. Pugach, Linda P. Blanton, and Mildred Boveda Chapter 10 Field Experiences and Instructional Pedagogies in Teacher Education: What We Know, Don't Know, and Must Learn Soon By Larry Maheady, Cynthia Smith, and Michael Jabot Chapter 11 Technology and Teacher Education By Sean J. Smith and Michael J. Kennedy Chapter 12 Preparing Teachers to Work with Diverse Populations By Vivian I. Correa, Patricia Alvarez McHatton, Erica D. McCray, and Cynthia Coss Baughan Chapter 13 Alternative Routes to Special Education Teacher Preparation: Context, Outcomes, and Implications By Vincent J. Connelly, Michael S. Rosenberg, and Kristine E. Larson Chapter 14 Teacher Preparation: Principles of Effective Pedagogy By Benjamin Lignugaris/Kraft and Shannon Harris Chapter 15 Preparing Special Educators to Teach Literacy By Mary T. Brownell and Melinda M. Leko Chapter 16 Teacher Preparation: Mathematics By Cynthia C. Griffin, Delinda van Garderen, and Tracy G. Ulrich Chapter 17 Special Education Teacher Preparation in Classroom Organization and Behavior Management By Regina M. Oliver and Daniel J. Reschly Chapter 18 Research on the Preparation of Teachers of Students with Severe Disabilities By David L. Westling, Charles Salzberg, Belva C. Collins, Robert Morgan, and Victoria Knight Chapter 19 Teacher Preparation for Students who Demonstrate Challenging Behaviors By Maureen A. Conroy, Peter J. Alter, Brian A. Boyd, and Elizabeth Bettini Chapter 20 Preparation of Teachers for Children Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing By Lauri H. Nelson, Susan Lenihan, and Karl R. White Chapter 21 Personnel Preparation in Visual Impairment By Laura Bozeman and Kim Zebahazy Chapter 22 Educator Preparation Within the Context of School-wide Positive Behavior and Academic Supports By Timothy J. Lewis and Cathy Newman Thomas Chapter 23 Teacher Preparation: Early Intervention/Early Childhood Special Education By Peggy A. Gallagher, Elizabeth A. Steed, and Katherine B. Green Chapter 24 Preparing Secondary Special Educators and Transition Specialists By Mary E. Morningstar and Beth Clavenna-Deane Chapter 25 Dimensions of Teacher Quality in General and Special Education By Mary T. Brownell, Trisha Steinbrecher, Jenna Kimerling, Yujeong Park, Jungah Bae, and Amber Benedict Chapter 26 Qualitative Research on Special Education Teacher Preparation By Beth Harry and Miriam Lipsky Chapter 27 The "Wicked Question" of Teacher Education Effects and What to Do About It By Benjamin Lignugaris/Kraft, Paul T. Sindelar, Erica D. McCray, and Jenna Kimerling.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415893091 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Compilations of research on teacher preparation often include no more than a cursory mention of the specific roles and needs of special education teachers. Although the work that special education teachers perform does indeed differ from the work of classroom teachers, teacher preparation in the two fields has much in common. The purpose of this seven-part handbook is to expand our knowledge of teacher education broadly by providing an in-depth look at the most up-to-date research on special education teacher preparation. Opening chapters ground the collection in political and economic context, while subsequent sections delve deeply into issues related to the current state of our special education workforce and offer insights into how to best prepare and sustain that workforce. Ultimately, by illuminating the particularities of special education teacher preparation, this landmark handbook addresses the state of current research in the field and sets an agenda for future scholarship.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415893091 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780415893084 (hbk)
- 0415893089 (hbk)
- 9780415893091 (pbk)
- 0415893097 (pbk)
- 9780203817032 (ebk)
- 0203817036 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: