Karl Marx : the revolutionary as educator
- Robin Small.
- Dordrecht : Springer, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- vi, 85 pages ; 23 cm.
- SpringerBriefs in education. Key thinkers in education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB675 .M232 S63 2014||Unknown|
- Small, Robin, author.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- 1. The Education of an Educator.- 2. Marx's radical turn.- 3. Capitalism and Education.- 4. The politics of schooling.- 5. Lessons from Marx.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789400776562 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is an introduction to Karl Marx (1818-1883) as a radical educational thinker. Marx's own schooling and education are examined and we see how his interest in educational issues was informed by his own experience. Educational themes in Marx's thinking are identified: the role of education within capitalist society, the contribution of education to human development and the character of education in a future society. These are placed in a historical setting by the author and related to public debates over educational policy. Throughout his career, Marx identified education as key to the prospects of the working class. The story of this engagement adds a new dimension to the picture of his work as a philosopher, political economist and socialist revolutionary. The aspects of education that concerned Marx matched prominent features of his theoretical and political activity, and educational themes provided him with a critical application for many of his most important ideas. The author explores Marx's work on the British factory school system, his use of evidence from the reports of school inspectors, and the contemporary movement that led to the establishment of modern systems of public schooling. The final chapter relates Marx's thinking to questions about the place of education in today's society, showing how relevant it is for the twenty-first century. These discussions contain new scholarship, draw on original sources and are written in a clear and readable style. Students in education courses at universities and colleges, educational researchers and teachers will find this examination of Karl Marx's ideas concerning education both engaging and enlightening.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789400776562 20160613
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- SpringerBriefs in education : Key thinkers in education, 2211-937X
Browse related items
Start at call number: