R. M. Row collection of Roman Imperial coins
- 19 BC - 42 AD
- Physical description
- 173 ancient Roman Imperial coins
Also available at
At the library
- Row, Robert M., collector.
- The collection includes 8 aurei (gold), 154 denarii (silver), 4 ancient barbaric counterfeit denarii (silver), 2 tetradrachms (silver), 1 drachm (silver), 2 ancient plated counterfeit denarii (silver-plated copper), 1 modern (circa 1600) Italian counterfeit denarius (silver); and 1 ancient barbaric counterfeit assarius (copper). The coins are Tiberian (155), Augustan (16), and Claudian (2).
- Use of ancient coins requires application and advance appointment with a library curator responsible for the collection. Please submit an application to firstname.lastname@example.org stating academic affiliation, level of numismatic expertise, scholarly purpose for examining the coins, and proposed date and time for doing so.
- Gift of Robert M. Row and Louise M. Row, 2014. Accession 2014-007.
- The R.M. Row collection of Roman Imperial coins was assembled for use during a 30-year study of the popular Roman imperial issue whose denarius in nicknamed "The Tribute Penny" because it is thought to have been the coin mentioned in the Bible as the one (possibly) shown to Jesus in the "render unto Caesar..." story. The results of the study were published in "The Tribute Penny: a guide to the Pontif Maxim Aureus-Denarius issue of Tiberius, AD 14-37" (Robert M. Row, 40 Acres Press, 2013), a copy of which is available with the coins for use in Special Collections. The study provides new date estimates, type descriptions, and statistical evidence of the denarius' role in the solution to the financial crisis of AD 33.
- Included Work
- The Tribute Penny
Browse related items
Start at call number: