The Theban plays
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Translators' Preface
- Introduction to Oedipus the Tyrant
- Oedipus the Tyrant
- Introduction to Oedipus at Colonus
- Oedipus at Colonus
- Introduction to Antigone
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The timeless Theban tragedies of Sophocles-Oedipus the Tyrant, Oedipus at Colonus, and Antigone-have fascinated and moved audiences and readers across the ages with their haunting plots and their unforgettable heroes and heroines. Now, following the best texts faithfully, and translating the key moral, religious, and political terminology of the plays accurately and consistently, Peter J. Ahrensdorf and Thomas L. Pangle allow contemporary readers to study the most literally exact reproductions of precisely what Sophocles wrote, rendered in readily comprehensible English. These translations enable readers to engage the Theban plays of Sophocles in their full, authentic complexity, and to study with precision the plays' profound and enduring human questions. In the preface, notes to the plays, and introductions, Ahrensdorf and Pangle supply critical historical, mythic, and linguistic background information, and highlight the moral, religious, political, philosophic, and psychological questions at the heart of each of the plays. Even readers unfamiliar with Greek drama will find what they need to experience, reflect on, and enjoy these towering works of classical literature.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Included Work
- Sophocles. Oedipus Rex. English.
- Sophocles. Oedipus at Colonus. English.
- Sophocles. Antigone. English.
- Publication date
- Agora editions
- 9780801452017 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0801452015 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780801478710 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0801478715 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: