Invisible student scientists : how graduate school science and engineering programs shortchange black, Hispanic, and women students
- Fisher, Robert L. (Robert Leslie), 1946- author.
- Lanham : University Press of America, 
- Physical description
- 134 pages ; 25 cm
LB2371.4 .F58 2014
- Unknown LB2371.4 .F58 2014
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -126) and index.
- List of Tables Foreword Preface Acknowledgements Introduction Chapter One: Theoretical Orientation and Study Plan Chapter Two: Cosseted White Males Revisited Chapter Three: Women Graduate Students: Some Are More Equal Than Others Chapter Four: Are (White) Men Better Professors and Scientists? Chapter Five: Conclusions and Policy Implications Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In this book, Robert Leslie Fisher contends that thanks to misguided university and government policies, we have created a science elite that does not represent the demographics of the nation. We need to recruit more native-born women and underrepresented minorities into graduate programs in order to maintain our nation's prosperity and military strength. Fisher draws on sample data from 1300 male and female respondents from White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian students. He shows how the student culture of graduate schools in science and engineering sees women, Black, and Hispanic students as outsiders and deprives these budding scientists and research engineers of the collaborators they need to succeed in their careers. Fisher argues that we must inspire female, Black, and Hispanic graduate students to believe they can succeed in their careers by (1) changing the student culture in graduate schools' science and engineering programs to be more inclusive, (2) removing burdensome undergraduate educational duties from graduate students so that they can concentrate on mastering the difficult subject matter of their disciplines, and (3) hiring more women and under-represented minorities as faculty to serve as role models.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Universities and colleges > United States > Graduate work.
- Sex differences in education > United States.
- Minorities in engineering > United States.
- Minorities in science > United States.
- Graduate students in engineering > United States.
- Graduate students in science > United States.
- Engineering > Study and teaching (Higher) > United States.
- Science > Study and teaching (Higher) > United States.
- Publication date
- Robert Leslie Fisher.
- 9780761862581 (hbk.)
- 0761862587 (hbk.)