Becoming a great school : harnessing the powers of quality management and collaborative leadership
- Kenneth B. Cooper, Nels Gustafson, and Joseph G. Salah.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, a division of Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Physical description
- xxi, 170 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.8 .C68 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 157-158) and index.
- Preface Introduction Chapter One: The Need for a Different Kind of Leadership Chapter Two: The Need for Outstanding Working Relationships Chapter Three: Becoming a Collaborative Leader Chapter Four: Developing Outstanding Teamwork Chapter Five: Uniting Behind a Shared Vision and Focused Goals Chapter Six: Building Cycles of Success Conclusion: Renewing Your School's Educational Systems Appendices: Appendix A: A Guide to Effective Meetings Appendix B: A Guide to Consensus Appendix C: Opening Exercises Appendix D: The Working Values (one page) Appendix E: The One-Page Improvement Plan Appendix F: Vision-Setting Exercises Appendix G: Goal-Setting Exercises Appendix H: Planning and Problem-Solving Tools Appendix I: Sample Survey Questions Acknowledgments About the Authors Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475806953 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- In education we are working on behalf of a truly noble cause: the lives of our students. We need a system for working together that is worthy of the work and one that harnesses the idealistic visions and inherent energies that brought us to education in the first place. Becoming A Great School prepares you to create that system. The authors challenge top-down leadership as a vestige of the past which fails to fully engage today's teaching professionals. They explain why the following structures are essential to school revitalization: an intrinsically-motivated, energized workforce functioning smoothly together as a team; a clear focus which inspires cohesion and a sense of purpose; and a process which gradually renews the school's educational systems piece-by-piece. The outcome is what American education needs: stronger, revitalized, more effective, extraordinary schools - and it is all accomplished from within. Ken, Nels and Joe reveal the quality management principles and collaborative leadership skills that led to amazing results for them, while detailing the practices necessary for educators to achieve the same outcomes in their schools. Become the leader you imagined yourself to be while creating the school you always wanted to work in.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475806953 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781475806946 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475806949 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475806953 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475806957 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475806960 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: