Literacy for learning : a handbook of content-area strategies for middle and high school teachers
- Gregory Berry, Ed.D.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 325 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1050.455 .B47 2014||Unknown|
- Berry, Gregory (Gregory Wayne)
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 313-318) and index.
- I. Part One: Getting Started with Content Area Literacy A. Introduction B. The Importance of Content Area Literacy C. Benefits of Using Good Strategies II. Part Two: Reading Strategies A. Variation in Types of Text Across Disciplines B. Responding to Reading C. Pre-Reading Strategies D. During Reading Strategies E. Post-Reading Strategies III. Part Three: Writing Strategies A. The Power of Writing B. What is Content Area Writing? C. Writing to Learn Assignments that Increase Student Engagement D. Easy, Simple Ways to Incorporate Writing E. Alternatives to Formal Writing F. Writing Activities for Specific Content Areas G. More Great Writing Strategies IV. Part Four: Vocabulary Strategies A. The Importance of Vocabulary B. Vocabulary Strategies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781442227118 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Literacy for Learning: A Handbook of Teaching Strategies for Middle and High School Teachers is a collection of proven, effective teaching strategies to promote content area literacy and help teachers incorporate literacy learning as a means of improving learning in all subject areas. The book presents a concise overview of content area literacy research and a rationale for teachers in all subject areas. Those who teach, or are about to teach, middle and high school students, will find a variety of engaging strategies for improving student comprehension and retention of content material. Numerous examples of how the strategies can be used across the curriculum are included. 122 strategies in all are included, plus tips and suggestions for their use. This valuable, handy, and easy-to-use resource contains strategies for teaching reading, writing, and vocabulary. Each section contains numerous strategies for use across the curriculum. An additional section focuses on ways to incorporate technology and multi-media resources into teaching to promote learning. Each strategy presented includes learning objectives, Common Core State Standards connections, a concise overview, and simple, easy-to-follow instructions for implementing the strategies. Teachers can pick up this book and immediately begin using the strategies in their own classrooms. With the implementation of Common Core State Standards, it will become more important than ever for every teacher to be a literacy teacher. This book should find widespread acceptance as a handy tool to help all teachers achieve this goal.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781442227118 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781442227118 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1442227117 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781442226951 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1442226951 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781442226968 (electronic)
- 144222696X (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: