Philanthropy and education : strategies for impact
- edited by Ekkehard Thümler, Nicole Bögelein, Annelie Beller and Helmut K. Anheier.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Physical description
- xvii, 264 p. : ill. ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB2824 .P45 2014
- Unknown LB2824 .P45 2014
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- PART I: UNDERSTANDING EDUCATION PHILANTRHOPY 1. Education Philanthropy in Germany and the US-- Ekkehard Thumler, Nicole Bogelein and Annelie Beller 2. School Reform and Philanthropy: Theory and Literature-- Ekkehard Thumler PART II: THE CASE STUDIES 3. Jacobs Summer Camp and DeutschSommer. Making a Difference with Summer Camp Programmes-- Annelie Beller 4. The Chance. A Systemic Approach to Integrate Adolescents Into the Job Market-- Steffen Bethmann 5. SEIS. The Role of the Bertelsmann Foundation as a Think Tank Taking Action-- Gunnar Glanzel 6. Semi-Autonomous School. Bertelsmann Foundation and the Largest School Development Project in German History-- Gunnar Glanzel 7. Success for All. The Impact of Research-Proven Cooperative Learning Strategies-- Andreas Schroer 8. Teach for America. How a Teacher Corps Changes Schools and Community-- Andreas Schroer 9. Assessing the Impact of Educational Programmes. An Evaluation of Research Validity-- Anke Heyder PART III: ANALYSIS 10. Philanthropic Impact and Effectiveness in Education-- Ekkehard Thumler, Nicole Bogelein and Annelie Beller 11. Islands of Success Revisited: Which Role for Philanthropy?-- Ekkehard Thumler.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The reform of public schools is high on the public agenda in Europe as well as North America. Philanthropic foundations play an increasingly important role in attempts to enhance the performance of the system. However, the degree to which their ambitious aspirations are actually realized is often very low. This book addresses the question of how philanthropic actors can make a more effective, beneficial and responsible contribution to the field of public education. It develops an innovative model of effective education philanthropy and uncovers strategies to successfully tackle problems in this complex domain. Presenting the findings of the international research project 'Strategies for Impact in Education', the results are based on six case studies from Germany, Switzerland and the United States, informed by institutional theory and drawing on state-of-the-art research in sociology, psychology and pedagogy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date