Hindi is our ground, English is our sky : education, language, and social class in contemporary India
- Chaise LaDousa.
- New York : Berghahn, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 215 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC315 .I4 L33 2014||Unknown|
- LaDousa, Chaise, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 192-207) and index.
- List of Figures and Tables Foreword by Krishna Kumar Preface Acknowledgements List of Abbreviations Transliteration Conventions Transcription Conventions Introduction Chapter 1. On Mother and Other Tongues: Language Ideology, Inequality, and Contradiction Chapter 2. Disparate Markets: The Uneven Resonance of Language-Medium Schooling in the Nation Chapter 3. Advertising in the Periphery: Modes of Communication and the Production of School Value Chapter 4. An Alter Voice: Questioning the Inevitability of the Language-Medium Divide Chapter 5. In and out of the Classroom: A Focus on English Conclusion References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781782382324 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- A sea change has occurred in the Indian economy in the last three decades, spurring the desire to learn English. Most scholars and media venues have focused on English exclusively for its ties to processes of globalization and the rise of new employment opportunities. The pursuit of class mobility, however, involves Hindi as much as English in the vast Hindi-Belt of northern India. Schools are institutions on which class mobility depends, and they are divided by Hindi and English in the rubric of "medium, " the primary language of pedagogy. This book demonstrates that the school division allows for different visions of what it means to belong to the nation and what is central and peripheral in the nation. It also shows how the language-medium division reverberates unevenly and unequally through the nation, and that schools illustrate the tensions brought on by economic liberalization and middle-class status.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781782382324 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781782382324 (hardback)
- 1782382321 (hardback)
- 9781782382331 (institutional ebook)
- 178238233X (institutional ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: