Uncovering student thinking about mathematics in the common core, grades 3-5 : 25 formative assessment probes
- Tobey, Cheryl Rose.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 230 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
QA135.6 .T587 2014
- Unknown QA135.6 .T587 2014
- Fagan, Emily R.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 218-221) and index.
- Preface: Mathematics Assessment Probes Acknowledgments About the Authors Chapter 1. Mathematics Assessment Probes Questioning Student Understanding: Determine the Key Mathematical Concepts You Want Students to Learn Uncovering Student Understanding: Use a Probe to Uncover Understandings and Areas of Difficulties What Is the Structure of a Probe? QUEST Cycle: Structure of the Supporting Teacher Notes Beginning to Use the Probes How to Navigate the Book Final Chapter 1 Thoughts Chapter 2. Operations and Algebraic Thinking Probes Completing Number Sentences Multiplication and Division Sentences (Number Models) Classifying Numbers Card Sort Which Answer Makes Sense? (Working With Remainders) Evaluating Expressions Chapter 3. Number and Operations: Base-Ten Probes Rounding Whole Numbers Subtracting Whole Numbers Are They Equivalent? Rounding Decimals Adding Decimals Decimal Division Estimates Chapter 4. Number and Operations: Fractions Probes Locating a Fraction on a Number Line Equivalent Fractions Card Sort Representing Decimals Comparing to 1/2 Fraction Estimates: Addition Chapter 5. Measurement and Data Probes What Does the Graph Say? Comparing Lengths Estimating Measures Comparing Metric Measures Chapter 6. Geometry and Geometric Measurement Probes Finding Area Naming the Perimeter Volume of the Box Classifying Angles Card Sort Names of the Shape Chapter 7. Additional Considerations Establishing Learning Targets Individual Metacognition and Reflection (The 4Cs) Giving Student Interviews Addressing Individual Needs Promoting Math Talk Supporting the Mathematical Practices Sharing Experiences and Promoting Professional Collaboration Summary Appendix A. Information on the Standards for Mathematical Practice Appendix B. Developing Assessment Probes Appendix C. Action Research Reflection Template: QUEST Cycle References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- From best-selling authors Cheryl Tobey and Carolyn Arline, this book helps pinpoint and reverse students' common math difficulties. Included are 20 research-based assessment probes designed specifically for Grades 3-5, to help teachers learn to ask the right questions to uncover just where students get confused, and apply practical strategies to get them quickly back on track. Organized by strand, the probes will enable readers to: * Quickly and objectively identify and correct students' difficulties * Systematically address conceptual misunderstandings and procedural mistakes-- before they become long-term problems * Plan targeted instruction and remediation in multiplication and division, problem solving, the four operations, factorization, and beyond * Master the essential CCSM mathematical processes and proficiencies for Grades 3-5 With the help of sample student responses, extensive Teacher Notes, reproducibles, and research-based tips and resources, teachers can quickly eliminate the guesswork and join thousands of busy teachers who've used these easy-to-implement probes to foster solid math proficiency!.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Mathematics > Study and teaching (Elementary) > United States.
- Educational tests and measurements > United States.
- Mathematics > Study and teaching (Elementary) > Psychological aspects.
- Mathematical ability in children > United States > Evaluation.
- Learning, Psychology of.
- Effective teaching > United States.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Cheryl Rose Tobey, Emily R. Fagan.
- 9781452270241 (paperback : acid-free paper)
- 1452270244 (paperback : acid-free paper)