Our dissertations, ourselves : shared stories of women's dissertation journeys
- Christine Sorrell Dinkins and Jeanne Merkle Sorrell.
- First edition.
- New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Physical description
- xii, 202 pages ; 22 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2386 .D56 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 195-196) and index.
- Preface 1. Writing the Unknown 2. Mystery, Confusion, Isolation 3. Realigning Relationships 4. Transformation of the Self 5. Advisor and Committee: Dancing with Strangers 6. End of a Journey and a New Beginning 7. Looking Back Appendix: Gathering the Stories.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137395238 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Our Dissertations, Ourselves engages readers in intimate stories from twenty women who wrote doctoral dissertations across nine disciplines: biology, English literature, modern languages, history, mathematics, music, nursing, philosophy, and social work. Their stories bring to light the common experiences, emotions, and challenges in the sometimes overwhelming process of writing a dissertation amidst a full and complex life. Through dialogue with these women, the authors found that much of the dissertation journey is shaped by the challenges and transformations in the writer's own identity and relationships. Designed to invite readers into shared experiences, this book provides support and guidance for women writing dissertations, their advisors, and all those on the journey with them, inviting readers to gain new understandings of the often-isolating world of the dissertation writer and celebrate the courage and creativity that these twenty women demonstrate.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137395238 20160612
- Publication date
- 9781137395238 (pbk.)
- 1137395230 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: