Homosexualities, Muslim cultures and modernity
- Momin Rahman.
- Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK ; New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Physical description
- x, 233 pages ; 23 cm.
- Palgrave politics of identity and citizenship series.
- Rahman, Momin, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 213-227) and index.
- 1. In Search of My Mother's Garden: Reflections on Migration, Gender, Sexuality and Muslim Identity
- 2. Islam versus Homosexuality as Modernity
- 3. Problematic Modernization: the Extent and Formation of Muslim Antipathy to Homosexuality
- 4. Traditions and Transformations of Muslim Homoeroticism
- 5. Queer Muslims in the Context of Contemporary Globalized LGBTIQ Identity
- 6. The Politics of Identity and the Ends of Liberation
- 7. Beginnings.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
No one can doubt that Muslim cultures and Muslim populations are under intense scrutiny in the west and worldwide. Moreover, queer politics has been increasingly drawn into this contemporary Islamophobia. This book presents a detailed interdisciplinary study of the issues surrounding homosexuality and Muslim cultures, drawing on sociological theories of modernity and modernization, evidence of Muslim homo-eroticism in historical and contemporary context, and contemporary political ideas of queer politics, multiculturalism and international development. The book presents an original theoretical framework that describes the ways in which both queer and Muslim politics are caught up in a process of triangulation that asserts the superiority of western civilization. Using an intersectional framework, it also begins to map a way out of this oppositional understanding of homosexuality and Islam, both by drawing on the evidence of the complexity of lived experience for Queer Muslims and by challenging the euro-centric conceits of queer political and social theory.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Palgrave politics of identity and citizenship series
- 9781137002952 (hbk.)
- 1137002956 (hbk.)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: