Enter the alternative school : critical answers to questions in urban education
- Alia R. Tyner-Mullings.
- Boulder : Paradigm Publishers, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xi, 163 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC5131 .T96 2014||Unknown|
- Tyner-Mullings, Alia, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 151-159) and index.
- Introduction 1) Building a Foundation from Alternative Materials 2) Standing Behind Their Words: Practicing Philosophy in Curriculum and Pedagogy 3) Origin Story: Growing a Community 4) Rethinking Goals: Where They Go from Here 5) Falling Down: The Success of Succession 6) The Movement 7) Lesson Learned: Implications for Small schools.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781612052984 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Enter the Alternative School is an in-depth examination of public school alternatives to traditional educational models in the US. This book analyses how urban education can respond to a system growing increasingly standardised and privatised. As an example, Central Park East Secondary School (CPESS), a public alternative schooling model, successfully served predominantly low-income and minority students. It also changed the New York City public school system while promoting methods that allowed educational institutions to make changes in the lives of their students. Written by a sociologist who was both a student at CPESS and a teacher at a school developed from the CPESS model, the book analyses education from a range of vantage points, assesses outcomes, and invites readers to consider the potential of alternative educational models to address the challenges of reforms that attempt to provide quality education to the low-income and minority students otherwise under served by public schools.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781612052984 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781612052984 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1612052983 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781612053189 (library e-book)
- 1612053181 (library e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: