The pitfalls of reform : its incompatibility with actual improvement
- John Tanner.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, a division of Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxi, 169 pages ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.8 .T36 2014||Unknown|
- Tanner, John, 1965-
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 163-164) and index.
- Preface Introduction Section 1: Changes to the Educational Improvement Formula Chapter 1:The Educational Formula Chapter 2: The Paradigm Of School Reform Chapter 3: The Trouble With "Rigor" Chapter 4: The Idea of Educational Standards Chapter 5: Standardized Tests Section 2: Accountability Chapter 6: Accountability Within The Educational Formula Chapter 7: The Bigger Idea Of School Accountability Chapter 8: Locating Success Section 3: The Next Generation Of Change: Moving Away From An Unfit Fitness Chapter 9: Fomenting the Right Changes Chapter 10: Cause and Effect and Inefficiencies Conclusion: the birth of something great Afterward: The Future of Schooling Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610489232 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- The systems that make up the accountability package in education: standards, assessments, and the quality determination for a school, have each entered the educational field under the explicit assumption by their creators that they would drive educator behavior in a positive way. But what if that isn't actually the case? What if each of the components was actually designed for another purpose entirely and now is tasked with a role that was never considered in its design? If that is the case those who put the systems in place risk expecting a result that the system was never designed to produce. That is exactly where we find ourselves today. In education the misalignment between what the systems were designed to do and the intent of those who selected them is masked in the sheer complexity of the educational exercise. What this book does so marvelously is unravel that complexity and present the contradictions in a clear, coherent manner. Understanding these contradictions is the first step towards actual improvement.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781610489232 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781610489225 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610489225 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610489232 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610489233 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610489249 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: