College presidents reflect : life in and out of the ivory tower
- Stephen J. Nelson.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, A division of Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xx, 146 pages ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2341 .N3856 2014||Unknown|
- Nelson, Stephen James, 1947- author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 141-142) and index.
- Preface Chapter 1 Introduction: A Retrospective, Decades of Challenge and Change in the College Presidency Chapter 2 The Sweet Sorrow: Exodus from the "Oval Office" and Bully Pulpit of the College Chapter 3 The Next Act: Is there Any Equal after a Presidency? Chapter 4 The Switch in Public Voice: Is Anyone Listening? Chapter 5 "Regrets, I have a few": Memories of Highs and Lows Chapter 6 The Shape and Shaping of the Presidency: The Insights of Former Presidents and the Intrigue of the Office Appendix: Roster of Interviewed Presidents Endnotes Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- College presidents lead taxing and complex, though enormously fulfilling and rewarding, lives. The story that unfolds in College Presidents Reflect: Life in and out of the Ivory Tower is fashioned from the perspectives of over two-dozen retired former college presidents. The over-their-shoulders view we get from these men and women who have sat on the presidential perch provides an unprecedented view of the office, of the pathways to presidencies, and of the ways in which tenures conclude when presidents decide, at times pushed, to exit. Does anything after leaving office compare with the status and regard regularly accorded presidents? How do their bully pulpits change from the power of the presidency to life? What are the high successes and unforeseen regrets born out of time in the office? From their journeys we learn lessons about leadership. We hear about how one gets into the presidency, planned or not. There is only one true source of insight and reflection about these issues and that is those who have been there, these former college presidents.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781475807615 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475807619 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475807622 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: