Connecting with students : strategies for building rapport with urban learners
- Higgs, Crystal, 1984-
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, a division of Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- ix, 83 pages ; 24 cm
LC5115 .H44 2014
- Unknown LC5115 .H44 2014
- Includes bibliographical references (page 81).
- Preface Introduction Part One: See Beyond the Barriers Mistakes as Barriers Difficulty as a Barrier Part Two: Show Your Face Show Students Your World Show Students You Have Time Show Students You Believe in Individuality Show Respect for Identity Part Three: Share Your Intentions Intention to be Attentive Intention to Uplift Intention to Influence Intention to Believe Intention to Assist Conclusion References Appendix Reflection Exercises Revisited.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Connecting with Students: Strategies for Building Rapport with Urban Learners focuses on how educators can efficiently establish ongoing rapport with each student through three simple steps: Seeing beyond barriers, sharing their intentions, and showing their "face". Chapter details are narrated through anecdotal experiences, confirmed by research, and seconded by actual urban learners. Educators are prompted to consistently reflect on their classroom practices and implement new strategies and techniques. This text will provide immediate strategies and techniques to build relational capacity in the urban classroom, so that frustration levels are lowered, classroom management is enhanced and academic deficiencies can be addressed. The content of the text is delivered in a multi-genre format. Within the narration there are several true anecdotes, analogies, extended metaphors, dialogue, and genuine student reflections on teaching.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Crystal Higgs.
- 9781475806823 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475806825 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475806830 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475806833 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475806847 (electronic)