Globalization and the Singapore curriculum : from policy to classroom
- Zongyi Deng, S. Gopinathan, Christine Kim-Eng Lee, editors.
- Singapore ; New York : Springer, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxii, 279 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Springer education innovation book series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1564 .S55 G56 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Series Editors' Foreward Foreward by F. Michael Connelly 1. Introduction Section 1 - Globalization, Curriculum Reform, Vision and Discourses 2. Globalization, the State and Curriculum Reform S. GOPINATHAN and Mardiana ABU BAKAR 3. Aims of Schooling For The 21st Century: The Desired Outcomes of Education Jason TAN 4. A Vision of Schooling for the 21st Century: Thinking Schools and Learning Nation Aaron KOH Section 2 - Translating Reform Initiatives into Programmes, School Subjects and Operational Frameworks 5. National Education: Framing the Citizenship Curriculum for Singapore Schools Jasmine B-Y. SIM 6. Recontextualising Critical Thinking in the Singapore Curriculum Leonel LIM 7. Teach Less, Learn More: Lost in Translation Juin Ee TEO, Zongyi DENG, Christine Kim Eng LEE and Christina LIM-RATNAM Section 3 - Enacting Reform Initiatives in Classrooms 8. Visible Learning and the Enacted Curriculum in Singapore David HOGAN, Dennis KWEK, Phillip TOWNDROW, Ridzuan abdul RAHIM, Teck Kiang TAN, Han Jing YANG and Melvin CHAN 9. Working Through The Layers: Curriculum Implementation in Language Education Rita Elaine SILVER, Xiaolan CURDT-CHRISTIANSEN, Susan WRIGHT and Madonna STINSON 10. National and Global Citizenship Education: Case Studies from Two Singapore Social Studies Classrooms Li-Ching HO 11. Enacting Teach Less, Learn More in Mathematics Classrooms: The Case of Productive Failure Manu KAPUR and Huey Woon LEE Section 4 - International, Comparative and Future Perspectives 12. Singapore's School Curriculum for the Future: Beyond National Development? Kerry J KENNEDY 13. Reforming Curriculum in Singapore and Hong Kong S. GOPINATHAN and Michael H. LEE 14. The Development of a Future-oriented Citizenship Curriculum in Singapore: Convergence of Character and Citizenship Education and Curriculum 2015 Wing On LEE Conclusion 15. The Singapore Curriculum: Convergence, Divergence, Issues and Challenges Zongyi DENG, S. GOPINATHAN and Christine Kim Eng LEE.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This volume provides a multi-faceted and critical analysis of the Singapore curriculum in relation to globalization. First, it details reform initiatives established by the Singapore government to meet the challenges posed by globalization. Next, Globalization and the Singapore Curriculum presents how these reforms have been translated into programs, school subjects and operational frameworks and then examines, in turn, how well these have been implemented in schools and classrooms across the country. Through this examination, the book reveals how the initiatives, together with their curricular translation and classroom enactment, reflect on the one hand global features and tendencies and, on the other, distinct national traditions, concerns and practices. It brings to light a set of issues, problems and challenges that not only concern policymakers, educators and reformers in Singapore but also those in other countries as well. Written by curriculum scholars, policy analysts, researchers and teacher educators, Globalization and the Singapore Curriculum offers an up-to-date reference for postgraduate students, scholars and researchers in the areas of curriculum and instruction, comparative education, educational sociology, educational policy and leadership in Singapore, the Asia Pacific region and beyond. It also offers a vital contribution to the story of modern education around the globe: providing international students, scholars and researchers valuable insights into curriculum and curriculum reform for the 21st century.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Springer education innovation book series
- 9789814451567 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9814451568 (hbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9789814451574 (eBook)
- 9814451576 (eBook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: