Carraher's polymer chemistry
- Carraher, Charles E., Jr., 1941- author.
- Ninth edition.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 798 pages : illustrations ; 27 cm
QD381 .S483 2014
- Unknown QD381 .S483 2014
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction to Polymers History of Polymers Why Polymers? Today's Marketplace Environmental Assessment Polymer Structure (Morphology) Stereochemistry of Polymers Molecular Interactions Polymer Crystals Amorphous Bulk State Polymer Structure-Property Relationships Cross-Linking Crystalline and Amorphous Combinations Molecular Weight of Polymers Introduction Solubility Average Molecular Weight Values Fractionation of Polydisperse Systems Chromatography Colligative Molecular Weights Light-Scattering Photometry Other Techniques Viscometry Polycondensation Polymers (Step-Reaction Polymerization) Comparison between Polymer Type and Kinetics of Polymerization Introduction Stepwise Kinetics Polycondensation Mechanisms Polyesters Polycarbonates Synthetic Polyamides Polyimides Polyamide-Imide Polybenzimidazoles and Related Polymers Polyurethanes and Polyureas Polysulfides Polyethers and Epoxies Polysulfones Poly(Ether Ether Ketone) and Polyketones Phenolic and Amino Plastics Furan Resins Synthetic Routes Liquid Crystals Microfibers General Stepwise Polymerization Ionic Chain-Reaction and Complex Coordination Polymerization (Addition Polymerization) Cationic Polymerization Anionic Polymerization Stereoregularity Polymerization with Complex Coordination Catalysts Soluble Stereoregulating Catalysis Polyethylenes Polypropylene Polymers from 1,4-Dienes Polyisobutylene Metathesis Reactions Zwitterionic Polymerization Isomerization Polymerization Precipitation Polymerization Free-Radical Chain Polymerization (Addition Polymerization) Initiators for Free-Radical Chain Polymerization Mechanism for Free-Radical Chain Polymerization Chain Transfer Polymerization Techniques Fluorine-Containing Polymers Polystyrene Poly(Vinyl Chloride) Poly(Methyl Methacrylate) Poly(Vinyl Alcohol) and Poly(Vinyl Acetals) Polyacrylonitrile Solid-State Irradiation Polymerization Plasma Polymerizations Copolymerization Kinetics of Copolymerization Q-e Scheme Commercial Copolymers Block Copolymers Graft Copolymers Elastomers Thermoplastic Elastomers Blends Fluoroelastomers Nitrile Rubber Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene Terpolymers EPDM Rubber Networks: General Polymer Mixtures Dendrites Ionomers Viscosity Modifiers Composites and Fillers Fillers Types of Composites Long-Fiber Composites: Theory Fibers and Resins Long-Fiber Composites: Applications Nanocomposites Fabrication Metal-Matrix Composites Naturally Occurring Polymers: Plants Polysaccharides Cellulose Paper Cellulose-Regenerating Processes Esters and Ethers of Cellulose Starch Homopolysaccharides Heteropolysaccharides Synthetic Rubbers Naturally Occurring Polyisoprenes Resins Balloons Lignin Melanins Asphalt Naturally Occurring Polymers: Animals Proteins Levels of Protein Structure Nucleic Acids Flow of Biological Information RNA Interference Polymer Structure Protein Folding Genetic Engineering DNA Profiling Human Genome: General Chromosomes Spliceosomes Proteomics Protein Site Activity Identification Organometallic and Inorganic-Organic Polymers Introduction Inorganic Reaction Mechanisms Condensation Organometallic Polymers Coordination Polymers Addition Polymers Ion-Exchange Resins Inorganic Polymers Introduction Portland Cement Other Cements Silicates Silicon Dioxide (Amorphous) Kinds of Amorphous Glass Safety Glass Lenses Solgel Aerogels Silicon Dioxide (Crystalline Forms): Quartz Forms Silicon Dioxide in Electronic Chips Silicon Dioxide in Optical Fibers Asbestos Fly Ash and Aluminosilicates Polymeric Carbon: Diamond Polymeric Carbon: Graphite Internal Cyclization: Carbon Fibers and Related Materials Carbon Nanotubes Bitumens Carbon Black Polysulfur Ceramics High-Temperature Superconductors Zeolites Testing and Spectrometric Characterization of Polymers Spectronic Characterization of Polymers Surface Characterization Amorphous Region Determinations Mass Spectrometry Thermal Analysis Thermal Property Tests Flammability Electric Properties: Theory Electric Measurements Optical Property Tests Weatherability Chemical Resistance Measurement of Particle Size Measurement of Adhesion Permeability and Diffusion Rheology and Physical Tests Rheology Typical Stress-Strain Behavior Stress-Strain Relationships Specific Physical Tests Additives Plasticizers Antioxidants Heat Stabilizers Ultraviolet Stabilizers Flame Retardants Colorants Curing Agents Antistatic Agents: Antistats Chemical Blowing Agents Compatibilizers Impact Modifiers Processing Aids Lubricants Microorganism Inhibitors Reactions on Polymers Reactions with Polyolefins and Polyenes Reactions of Aromatic and Aliphatic Pendant Groups Degradation Cross-Linking Reactivities of End Groups Supramolecules and Self-Assembly Transfer and Retention of Oxygen Nature's Macromolecular Catalysts Photosynthesis Mechanisms of Physical Energy Absorption Breakage of Polymeric Materials Synthesis of Reactants and Intermediates for Polymers Monomer Synthesis from Basic Feedstocks Reactants for Step-Reaction Polymerization Synthesis of Vinyl Monomers Synthesis of Free-Radical Initiators Polymer Technology Fibers Elastomers Films and Sheets Polymeric Foams Reinforced Plastics (Composites) and Laminates Molding Casting Extrusion Coatings Adhesives Selected Topics Conductive Polymeric Materials Nonlinear Optical Behavior Photophysics and Photochemistry: Basics Drug Design and Activity Synthetic Biomedical Polymers Sutures Geotextiles Smart Materials High-Performance Thermoplastics Construction and Building Flame-Resistant Textiles Water-Soluble Polymers Anaerobic Adhesives Hydrogels Emerging Polymers Green Materials New Materials: Additional Aspects Solutions Appendix A: Symbols Appendix B: Trade Names Appendix C: Syllabus Appendix D: Polymer Core Course Committees Appendix E: Structures of Common Polymers Appendix F: Mathematical Values and Units Appendix G: Comments on Health Appendix H: ISO 9000 and 14000 Appendix I: Electronic Education Websites Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Most of the advancements in communication, computers, medicine, and air and water purity are linked to macromolecules and a fundamental understanding of the principles that govern their behavior. These fundamentals are explored in Carraher's Polymer Chemistry, Ninth Edition. Continuing the tradition of previous volumes, the latest edition provides a well-rounded presentation of the principles and applications of polymers. With an emphasis on the environment and green chemistry and materials, this edition offers detailed coverage of natural and synthetic giant molecules, inorganic and organic polymers, biomacromolecules, elastomers, adhesives, coatings, fibers, plastics, blends, caulks, composites, and ceramics. Using simple fundamentals, this book demonstrates how the basic principles of one polymer group can be applied to all of the other groups. It covers reactivities, synthesis and polymerization reactions, techniques for characterization and analysis, energy absorption and thermal conductivity, physical and optical properties, and practical applications. This edition includes updated techniques, new sections on a number of copolymers, expanded emphasis on nanotechnology and nanomaterials, and increased coverage of topics including carbon nanotubes, tapes and glues, photochemistry, and more. With topics presented so students can understand polymer science even if certain parts of the text are skipped, this book is suitable as an undergraduate as well as an introductory graduate-level text. The author begins most chapters with theory followed by application, and generally addresses the most critical topics first. He provides all of the elements of an introductory text, covering synthesis, properties, applications, and characterization. This user-friendly book also contains definitions, learning objectives, questions, and additional reading in each chapter.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Charles E. Carraher Jr.
- Title Variation
- Polymer chemistry
- 9781466552036 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1466552034 (hardcover : alk. paper)