The student leadership competencies guidebook : designing intentional leadership learning and development
- Corey Seemiller.
- First edition.
- San Francisco : Jossey-Bass, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxviii, 142 pages ; 28 cm.
- Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB3605 .S383 2014||Unknown|
- Seemiller, Corey.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Acknowledgments xi About the Author xiii Introduction xv What Are Competencies? xv Why Focus on Leadership Competencies? xv How Were the Student Leadership Competencies Developed? xvi What Are the Student Leadership Competencies? xviii Tenets of the Student Leadership Competencies xx Competencies and Learning Outcomes xxi Using the Student Leadership Competencies xxii Jossey-Bass Student Leadership Competencies Database xxiii Self-Evaluation Templates xxiv Using the Student Leadership Competencies: At-a-Glance xxvi 1. Learning and Reasoning 1 Research 1 Other Perspectives 3 Reflection and Application 5 Systems Thinking 7 Analysis 9 Synthesis 11 Evaluation 14 Idea Generation 16 Problem Solving 17 Decision Making 20 2. Self-Awareness and Development 23 Self-Understanding 23 Personal Values 25 Personal Contributions 27 Scope of Competence 30 Receiving Feedback 32 Self-Development 34 3. Interpersonal Interaction 37 Productive Relationships 37 Appropriate Interaction 39 Helping Others 42 Empathy 44 Mentoring 46 Motivation 48 Others Contributions 50 Empowerment 53 Providing Feedback 55 Supervision 58 Collaboration 60 4. Group Dynamics 63 Organizational Behavior 63 Power Dynamics 65 Group Development 68 Creating Change 70 5. Civic Responsibility 73 Diversity 73 Others Circumstances 75 Inclusion 77 Social Justice 79 Social Responsibility 81 Service 83 6. Communication 87 Verbal Communication 87 Nonverbal Communication 89 Listening 92 Writing 94 Facilitation 96 Conflict Negotiation 98 Advocating for a Point of View 100 7. Strategic Planning 105 Mission 105 Vision 107 Goals 109 Plan 111 Organization 113 8. Personal Behavior 117 Initiative 117 Functioning Independently 119 Follow-Through 121 Responsibility for Personal Behavior 123 Ethics 125 Responding to Ambiguity 128 Responding to Change 130 Resiliency 132 Positive Attitude 134 Confidence 136 Excellence 138 References and Resources 141 The Jossey-Bass Student Leadership Competencies Database can be accessed at www.josseybass.com/go/studentleadershipcompetencies.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118720479 20180530
- Publisher's Summary
- Bridge the gap between leadership development and career preparation! This guidebook gives leadership educators the tools they need to help students develop the competencies necessary for their chosen careers and required by their academic programs. It also offers a way to understand and demonstrate the effectiveness of leadership programs. Organized into chapters each focused on one of 60 leadership competencies common across 522 academic degree programs accredited by 97 agencies, each chapter covers: * a definition and description of the competency through the lens of each of four dimensions: knowledge, value, ability, and behavior; * a scenario related to college student leadership that showcases the competency in action; * related competencies to help readers understand how developing one competency may also intentionally or unintentionally develop another; * a correlation of the competency to the Relational Leadership Model, the Social Change Model, the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership, and/or Emotionally Intelligent Leadership; and * tangible curricular ideas to use with students to help them develop each dimension of the competency.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118720479 20180530
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- The Jossey-Bass Higher and Adult Education Series
- 9781118720479 (pbk.)
- 1118720474 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: