Climate change mitigation in developing countries : a critical assessment of the clean development mechanism
- Paula Castro, Department of Political Science, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- Cheltenham, UK : Edward Elgar, 
- Physical description
- ix, 200 pages : ill. ; 25 cm
- Castro, Paula (Castro P.), author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 170-197) and index.
- Introduction to the Clean Development Mechanism
- Conceptual framework
- Will preferential access measures overcome barriers to CDM projects in least developed countries?
- Discounting emission credits and competitiveness of different CDM host countries
- Does the CDM discourage emission reduction targets in advanced developing countries? An analysis of the 'low-hanging fruit' issue
- Do domestic renewable energy promotion policies lead to more CDM projects?
- Concluding remarks.
In this groundbreaking book, Paula Castro presents the first systematic categorization of positive and negative incentives generated by the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) for climate change mitigation in the Global South. To reduce the cost of meeting their greenhouse gas emission reduction commitments under the Kyoto Protocol, industrialized countries may rely on the CDM, a market instrument that allows them to count emission reductions from projects in developing countries as their own. Presented in four core empirical chapters, the book critically reviews whether and how the CDM creates incentives or disincentives for developing country action towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and draws lessons for the future international climate change regime. Recommendations and discussion on the reform of the CDM invoke debate on the future of this policy in developing countries, which is vital material for both policymakers and international institutions introducing similar instruments. Students and researchers working on topics related to environmental politics, climate policy, environmental economics and environmental science will also find this resource invaluable.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Critical assessment of the clean development mechanism
- 9781782545675 (hbk.)
- 1782545670 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: