Martin & Mahalia : his words, her song
- by Andrea Davis Pinkney ; illustrated by Brian Pinkney.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Little, Brown and Co., c2013.
- Physical description
- 1 v. (unpaged) : col. ill. ; 24 x 31 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
E185.97 .K5 P54 2013
- Unknown E185.97 .K5 P54 2013
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- They were each born with the gift of gospel. Martin's voice kept people in their seats, but also sent their praises soaring. Mahalia's voice was brass-and-butter - strong and smooth at the same time. With Martin's sermons and Mahalia's songs, folks were free to shout, to sing their joy. On August 28, 1963, MLK Jr. gave his famous "I Have a Dream" speech from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and his strong voice and powerful message were joined and lifted in song by world-renowned gospel singer Mahalia Jackson. It was a moment that changed the course of history and is imprinted in minds forever. Told through Andrea's poetic prose and Brian's evocative illustration, the stories of these two powerful voices and lives are told side-by-side - as they would one day walk -- following the journey from their youth to a culmination at this historical event when they united as one. Published in coordination with the 50th anniversary of this momentous occasion, this new picture book will pay tribute to two great voices of the civil rights movement, inspiring kids to find their own voices and speak up for what is right.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968 > Juvenile literature.
- Jackson, Mahalia, 1911-1972 > Juvenile literature.
- African Americans > Civil rights > History > 20th century > Juvenile literature.
- Civil rights movements > United States > History > 20th century > Juvenile literature.
- King, Martin Luther, Jr., 1929-1968.
- Jackson, Mahalia, 1911-1972.
- African Americans > Civil rights > History > 20th century.
- Civil rights movements > United States > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Martin and Mahalia
- 9780605608290 (Perma-Bound)
- 0605608296 (Perma-Bound)