Avian immunology [electronic resource]
- 2nd ed.
- Amsterdam ; Boston : Elsevier/Academic Press, c2014.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xvi, 439 p.) : ill.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. The importance of the avian immune system and its unique features / Fred Davison
- 2. Structure of the avian lymphoid system / Imre Olah, Nandor Nagy and Lonneke Vervelde
- 3. Development of the avian immune system / Julien S. Fellah [and three others]
- 4. B cells, the Bursa of Fabricius and the generation of antibody repertoires / Michael J.H. Ratcliffe and Sonja Hartle
- 5. Avian T cells : antigen recognition and lineages / Adrian L. Smith and Thomas W. Gobel
- 6. Structure and evolution of avian immunoglobulins / Sonja Hartle [and four others]
- 7. Innate immune responses / Helle R. Juul-Madsen [and four others]
- 8. The avian MHC / Jim Kaufman
- 9. Avian antigen-presenting cells / Bernd Kaspers and Pete Kaiser
- 10. Avian cytokines and chemokines / Pete Kaiser and Peter Staheli
- 11. Immunogenetics and the mapping of immunological functions / Susan J. Lamont, Jack C.M. Dekkers and Huaijun Zhou
- 12. The mucosal immune system / Bernd Kaspers, Karel A. Schat and Pete Kaiser
- 13. The avian enteric immune system in health and disease / Adrian L. Smith, Claire Powers and Richard K. Beal
- 14. The avian respiratory immune system / Sonja Hartle and Bernd Kaspers
- 15. The avian reproductive immune system / Paul Wigley, Paul Barrow and Karel A. Schat
- 16. Avian immunosuppressive diseases and immunoevasion / Karel A. Schat and Michael A. Skinner
- 17. Factors modulating the avian immune system / Elizabeth A. Koutsos and Kirk C. Klasing
- 18. Autoimmune diseases of poultry / Gisela F. Erf
- 19. Tumors of the avian immune system / Venugopal Nair
- 20. Practical aspects of poultry vaccination / Virgil E.J.C. Schijns [and three others]
- 21. Comparative immunology of agricultural birds / Ursula Schultz and Katharine E Magor
- 22. Ecoimmunology / James S. Adelman, Daniel R. Ardia and Karel A. Schat.
- Publisher's Summary
- The second edition of Avian Immunology provides an up-to-date overview of the current knowledge of avian immunology. From the ontogeny of the avian immune system to practical application in vaccinology, the book encompasses all aspects of innate and adaptive immunity in chickens. In addition, chapters are devoted to the immunology of other commercially important species such as turkeys and ducks, and to ecoimmunology summarizing the knowledge of immune responses in free-living birds often in relation to reproductive success. The book contains a detailed description of the avian innate immune system, encompassing the mucosal, enteric, respiratory and reproductive systems. The diseases and disorders it covers include immunodepressive diseases and immune evasion, autoimmune diseases, and tumors of the immune system. Practical aspects of vaccination are examined as well. Extensive appendices summarize resources for scientists including cell lines, inbred chicken lines, cytokines, chemokines, and monoclonal antibodies. The world-wide importance of poultry protein for the human diet, as well as the threat of avian influenza pandemics like H5N1 and heavy reliance on vaccination to protect commercial flocks makes this book a vital resource. This book provides crucial information not only for poultry health professionals and avian biologists, but also for comparative and veterinary immunologists, graduate students and veterinary students with an interest in avian immunology. It features with contributions from 33 of the foremost international experts in the field, this book provides the most up-to-date review of avian immunology so far. It contains a detailed description of the avian innate immune system reviewing constitutive barriers, chemical and cellular responses; it includes a comprehensive review of avian Toll-like receptors. It contains a wide-ranging review of the "ecoimmunology" of free-living avian species, as applied to studies of population dynamics, and reviews methods and resources available for carrying out such research.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Karel Schat, Bernd Kaspers, Pete Kaiser.
- Previous edition: 2008.
- Available in another form
- Print version Avian immunology. 2nd edition. Amsterdam : Academic Press, 2013 9780123969651 (OCoLC)843807575
- 9780123972729 (electronic bk.)
- 0123972728 (electronic bk.)