Doing the scholarship of teaching and learning : measuring systematic changes to teaching and improvements in learning
- Regan A.R. Gurung, Janie H. Wilson, editors.
- San Francisco, Calif. : Jossey-Bass ; Hoboken, N.J. : Wiley, 2013.
- Physical description
- 117 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- New directions for teaching and learning ; no. 136.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.75 .D65 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Advancing Scholarly Research on Teaching and Learning 1 Regan A. R. Gurung, Janie H. Wilson This chapter provides a brief history of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL), delineates the main audience for this volume, and presents a framework of the volume with a preview of each chapter. 2. Using Assessment and SoTL to Enhance Student Learning 7 K. Laurie Dickson, Melinda M. Treml Coordinating SoTL and assessment efforts strengthens the processes of inquiry, evidence, and innovation that lead to the continual improvement of student learning. Examples are provided for how to work collaboratively with colleagues to use these processes to continually inform the teaching practices within classrooms, academic programs, and institutions. 3. Designing SoTL Studies Part I: Validity 17 Robert A. Bartsch This chapter discusses how to improve validity in SoTL studies through generating appropriate measures and using designs that examine causality between an activity and students performance. 4. Designing SoTL Studies Part II: Practicality 35 Robert A. Bartsch This chapter suggests solutions to common practical problems in designing SoTL studies. In addition, the advantages and disadvantages of different types of designs are discussed. 5. Statistical Models for Analyzing Learning Data 49 Georjeanna Wilson-Doenges This chapter will provide potential models for analyzing learning data through a discussion of screening data and then analyzing that data using appropriate statistical techniques. 6. Navigating the IRB: The Ethics of SoTL 59 Ryan C. Martin This chapter discusses Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) as they apply to the SoTL. Specifically, it describes when SoTL projects must receive IRB approval, why they must get IRB approval, the review process, and some special issues of concern with regard to SoTL. 7. Tell a Good Story Well: Writing Tips 73 Randolph A. Smith This chapter gives reasons why writing is important, summarizes general writing guidelines common tomany academic disciplines, and provides specific writing guidelines that authors should use to make their manuscripts stronger and more likely to be acceptable to editors. 8. Navigating the Minefields of Publishing 85 Andrew N. Christopher From the perspective of a journal editor and experienced author, this chapter provides counsel on the "ins" and "outs" of publishing empirical research in peer-reviewed journals. 9. Faculty Development Centers and the Role of SoTL 101 Beth M. Schwartz, Aeron Haynie This chapter discussesways that faculty development and teaching centers can foster the practice of SoTL and create a campus culture where SoTL is recognized as important scholarly work. INDEX 113.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118838679 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) should be an integral part of every academic's life, representing not only the pinnacle of effortful teaching, but also standing side by side with more conventional disciplinary scholarship. Although practiced by many instructors for years, SoTL has garnered national attention resulting in a spate of new journals to publish pedagogical research. SoTL helps students, fosters faculty development, and has been integrated into higher education. This volume provides readers with challenges that will motivate them to engage in SoTL and take their pedagogical research further. We include many key features aimed to help both the teacher new to research and SoTL and also researchers who may have a long list of scholarly publications in non-pedagogical areas and who have not conducted research. This is the 136th volume of this Jossey-Bass higher education series. It offers a comprehensive range of ideas and techniques for improving college teaching based on the experience of seasoned instructors and the latest findings of educational and psychological researchers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781118838679 20160612
- Publication date
- New directions for teaching and learning, 1536-0768 ; no. 136
- "Winter 2013."
- 9781118838679 (pbk.)
- 111883867X (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: