Science from sight to insight : how scientists illustrate meaning
- Alan G. Gross and Joseph E. Harmon.
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2014.
- Physical description
- vii, 332 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 309-326) and index.
- Verbal-visual interaction in science
- A framework for understanding verbal-visual interaction
- Understanding scientific visuals and tables: a taxonomy
- Visual evolution and the Heideggerian transformation
- Verbal-visual interaction and scientific argument: the contexts of discovery and justification
- Visual argument and narrative in the "historical" sciences: the example of geology
- Verbal-visual interaction in the Victorian discovery of deep time
- The public science lecture: powerpoint transforms a genre
- Weaving the web of scientific knowledge: visuals on the Internet.
- Publisher's Summary
- John Dalton's molecular structures. Scatter plots and geometric diagrams. Watson and Crick's double helix. The way in which scientists understand the world - and the key concepts that explain it - is undeniably bound up in not only words, but images. Moreover, from PowerPoint presentations to articles in academic journals, scientific communication routinely relies on the relationship between words and pictures. In Science from Sight to Insight, Alan G. Gross and Joseph E. Harmon present a short history of the scientific visual, and then formulate a theory about the interaction between the visual and textual. With great insight and admirable rigor, the authors argue that scientific meaning itself comes from the complex interplay between the verbal and the visual in the form of graphs, diagrams, maps, drawings, and photographs. The authors use a variety of tools to probe the nature of scientific images, from Heidegger's philosophy of science to Peirce's semiotics of visual communication. Their synthesis of these elements offers readers an examination of scientific visuals at a much deeper and more meaningful level than ever before.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780226068480 20160612
- Publication date
- 9780226068206 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 022606820X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780226068480 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 022606848X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780226068343 (e-book)
- 022606834X (e-book)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: