The sanctity of Louis IX : early lives of Saint Louis by Geoffrey of Beaulieu and William of Chartres
- translated by Larry F. Field ; edited and introduced by M. Cecilia Gaposchkin and Sean L. Field.
- Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 2014.
- Physical description
- xvi, 197 pages : illustrations, map ; 22 cm
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 185-189) and index.
- Three early letters on the sanctity of Louis IX
- Geoffrey of Beaulieu's Life and comportment of Louis, former King of the Franks, of pious memory
- William of Chartres' On the life and deeds of Louis, king of the Franks of famous memory, and on the miracles which declare his sanctity
- Boniface VIII's bull Gloria laus.
- "Louis IX of France reigned as king from 1226 to 1270 and was widely considered an exemplary Christian ruler, renowned for his piety, justice, and charity toward the poor. After his death on crusade, he was proclaimed a saint in 1297, and today Saint Louis is regarded as one of the central figures of early French history and the High Middle Ages. In The Sanctity of Louis IX, Larry F. Field offers the first English-language translations of two of the earliest and most important accounts of the king's life: one composed by Geoffrey of Beaulieu, the king's long-time Dominican confessor, and the other by William of Chartres, a secular clerk in Louis's household who eventually joined the Dominican Order himself. Written shortly after Louis's death, these accounts are rich with details and firsthand observations absent from other works, most notably Jean of Joinville's well-known narrative"-- Publisher's Web site.
- Included Work
- Geoffrey, of Beaulieu, -approximately 1274. Vita et sancta conuersatio piae memoriae Lvdovici quondam Regis Francorum. English.
- William, of Chartres, approximately 1225-approximately 1280. De vita et actibus inclytae recordationis Regis Francorum Ludouici. English.
- Publication date
- Included Work
- Life and comportment of Louis, former King of the Franks, of pious memory.
- On the life and deeds of Louis, King of the Franks of famous memory, and on the miracles which declare his sanctity.
- 9780801478185 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0801478189 (pbk. : alk. paper)