The gender-responsive school : an action guide
- Catherine Atthill, Jyotsna Jha.
- London : Commonwealth Secretariat, c2009.
- Physical description
- 272 p. : ill. ; 30 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC212.9 .A88 2009 F
- Unknown LC212.9 .A88 2009 F
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgements List of activities Foreword Introduction Using the Action Guide Initial action plan UNIT 1 The basics 1.1 Gender concepts 1.2 Stereotypes 1.3 Gender and education UNIT 2 The wider context 2.1 The big picture 2.2 The national education context UNIT 3 A whole school approach 3.1 School ethos 3.2 Across the school 3.3 Staff development 3.4 Involving the wider community 3.5 School gender policy UNIT 4 Teaching and learning 4.1 Entry points 4.2 Curriculum 4.3 Classroom dynamics 4.4 Underachievement 4.5 Teaching and learning for change 4.6 Making changes last UNIT 5 Approaches and methods 5.1 Action research 5.2 Gender analysis 5.3 Change management 5.4 Evaluation Action plan and reflection Action plan Reflection Selected resources Appendices Appendix I: Gender analysis of classroom and other processes in seven selected Commonwealth countries: Some basic facts and findings Appendix II: Trialing workshop for southern Africa, Maputo, Mozambique Appendix III: Social Learning Package Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The Gender-Responsive School shows teachers, headteachers and school administrators how to spot the key spaces in school life where gender is important. It gives them tools to address gender biases by changing attitudes and ideas among staff and students. This Action Guide is full of activities that can be undertaken at either individual or group level. Based on trials with teachers in a wide range of countries with different cultures, educational systems and attitudes towards gender issues, it shows how important school is, especially at the post-primary stage, in forming expectations of girls and boys and ideas about gender roles. The Gender-Responsive School will be of practical value for all educational professionals who are concerned to promote gender equality.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781848590397 (ebk.)
- 1848590393 (ebk.)