The education of indigenous citizens in Latin America
- edited by Regina Cortina.
- Bristol ; Buffalo : Multilingual Matters, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 215 pages ; 21 cm.
- Bilingual education and bilingualism.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3715 .E384 2014||Unknown|
- Cortina, Regina, editor.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Acknowledgments Contributors Regina Cortina: Introduction 1. Luis Enrique Lopez: Indigenous Intercultural Bilingual Education in Latin America: Widening Gaps between Policy and Practice 2. Regina Cortina: Partnerships to Promote the Education of Indigenous Citizens 3. Bret Gustafson: Intercultural Bilingual Education in the Andes: Political Change, New Challenges, and Future Directions 4. Carmen Martinez Novo: The Tension between Western and Indigenous Knowledges in Intercultural Bilingual Education in Ecuador 5. Sylvia Schmelkes: Indigenous Students as Graduates of Higher Education Institutions in Mexico 6. Maria Jose Aragon: Beyond Cultural Recognition: Training Teachers for Intercultural Bilingual Education in Guatemala 7. Luz Jimenez Quispe: Indigenous Leaders and the Challenges of Decolonization in Bolivia 8. Laura A. Valdiviezo: Political Discourse and School Practice in Multilingual Peru.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781783090952 20160616
- Publisher's Summary
- This groundbreaking volume describes unprecedented changes in education across Latin America, resulting from the endorsement of Indigenous peoples' rights through the development of intercultural bilingual education. The chapters evaluate the ways in which cultural and language differences are being used to create national policies that affirm the presence of Indigenous peoples and their cultures within Mexico, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Guatemala. Describing the collaboration between grassroots movements and transnational networks, the authors analyze how social change is taking place at the local and regional levels, and they present case studies that illuminate the expansion of intercultural bilingual education. This book is both a call to action for researchers, teachers, policy-makers and Indigenous leaders, and a primer for practitioners seeking to provide better learning opportunities for a diverse student body.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781783090952 20160616
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Bilingual education and bilingualism
- 9781783090952 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 1783090952 (hbk : alk. paper)
- 9781783090945 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 1783090944 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 9781783090969 (pdf)
- 1783090960 (pdf)
Browse related items
Start at call number: