Cracking the common core : choosing and using texts in grades 6-12
- William E. Lewis, Sharon Walpole, Michael C. McKenna ; foreword by Jeffrey Menzer and Jacob Nagy.
- New York, NY : The Guilford Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 234 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1631 .L49 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 217-226) and index.
- Foreword, Jeffrey Menzer and Jacob Nagy 1. Embracing the Common Core 2. Understanding Adolescent Readers 3. Understanding Challenging Texts 4. Designing Challenging Text Sets 5. Building Background Knowledge 6. Supporting Students during Reading 7. Implementing High-Quality Discussions after Reading 8. Text-Based Writing to Support Understanding 9. Research in the Content Areas 10. Leading for Change Appendix 1. Text Set Examples from English Language Arts Appendix 2. Text Set Examples from History/Social Studies Appendix 3. Text Set Examples from Science.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781462513185 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- This book guides teachers in grades 6-12 to strategically combine a variety of texts--including literature, informational texts, and digital sources--to meet their content-area goals and the demands of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS). It presents clear-cut ways to analyze text complexity, design challenging text sets, and help students get the most out of what they read. Provided are practical instructional ideas for building background knowledge, promoting engagement, incorporating discussion and text-based writing, and teaching research skills. Appendices offer sample unit plans for English language arts, history/social studies, and science classrooms. More than 20 reproducible coaching templates and other tools can be downloaded and printed in a convenient 8 1/2" x 11" size.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781462513185 20160612
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9781462513185 (hardback)
- 1462513182 (hardback)
- 9781462513130 (paper)
- 1462513131 (paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: