Laboratory of learning : HBCU laboratory schools and Alabama state college lab high in the era of Jim Crow
- Sharon Gay Pierson ; foreword by V.P. Franklin.
- New York : Peter Lang, 
- Physical description
- xx, 308 pages ; 23 cm.
- History of schools and schooling ; v. 58.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2154 .A3 P54 2014||Unknown|
- Pierson, Sharon Gay.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 277-302) and index.
- Contents: Beginnings: The Promise of Secondary and Higher Education - Intersections, Opportunities, and Strategies for Advancement, 1920-1940s: Black Laboratory Schools and Progressive Education - Seeds of Inspiration and Effective Administration - History and Development of Alabama State College Laboratory High School, the Heart of the Institution - Lab High: Privilege and Promise in Secondary Education.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433123085 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- During the progressive education movement, laboratory high schools evolved from model schools that were part of the core teacher training curriculum at historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs). These laboratory schools were at the vanguard of the accreditation battle, participated in national curriculum studies, and boasted high graduation and college entrance rates. Led by well-educated, reform-minded African Americans who molded their own approaches to teaching and curriculum and were grounded in sound progressive educational theory, these HBCU lab high schools represented privileged educational experiences. Yet, this collective effort of high-achieving Black lab schools has been overlooked by historians. Through an examination of Alabama State Teachers College Laboratory High School (1920-1960), Laboratory of Learning illuminates the strategies, challenges, and successes of providing secondary education to Southern Black citizens during the Jim Crow era and provides evidence that HBCU laboratory schools and Lab High should be added to our histories as an example of distinctive, progressive schooling.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781433123085 20160612
- Alabama State College Laboratory High School > History > 20th century.
- Laboratory schools > Southern States > History > 20th century.
- African Americans > Education (Secondary) > Southern States > History > 20th century.
- African American universities and colleges > Southern States > History > 20th century.
- Publication date
- History of schools and schooling ; vol. 58
- 9781433123085 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781433123078 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 143312307X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781453911297 (e-book)
- 1433123088 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: