Process engineering and design using Visual Basicʼ
- Datta, Arun, author.
- Second edition.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, 
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : text file, PDF
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Basic Mathematics Introduction Physical constants Mensuration Algebra Trigonometry Analytical geometry Calculus Differential equations Partial differential equations Numerical analysis Unit conversions Programming References Thermodynamics Introduction Heat, work, and energy First law of thermodynamics Phase rule Reversible process Heat content or enthalpy Heat capacity at constant volume and constant pressure Isothermal process Adiabatic process Equation of state Second law of thermodynamics Thermodynamic properties Flash calculation Programming Nomenclature Greek characters References Fluid Mechanics Introduction Bernoulli's theorem Flow measurements Frictional pressure drop Two-K method Hydraulics: General guidelines Hydraulics: Compressible fluids Heat loss Hydraulics: Two-phase flow Programming Nomenclature Greek characters References Heat Transfer Introduction Conductive heat transfer Heat conduction through a composite wall Heat conduction through multiple cylindrical walls Heat conduction through the wall of a sphere Multidimensions steady-state heat conduction One-dimensional unsteady heat conduction Thermal conductivity of various materials/components Thermal conductivities of hydrocarbon liquids Convective heat transfer Estimation of pressure drop Log mean temperature difference Overall heat-transfer coefficient Radiation heat transfer Double-pipe heat exchanger Heat exchanger specification Batch heating and cooling Heat transfer in agitated vessels Minimum metal temperature during depressuring operation Programming Nomenclature Subscripts Greek References Distillation Introduction Relative volatility Vapor-liquid equilibrium Raoult's law: Ideal solutions Material balance for two-component systems McCabe-Thiele method Smoker equations Approximate column sizing Tray efficiency Column hydraulics and design Tray pressure drop Height equivalent to theoretical plate Entrainment Weeping and dumping Programming References Separators Introduction General principles of separation Vertical vs. horizontal separators Design of a gas-liquid separator Design of liquid-liquid separators Mist eliminator General dimensions and setting of levels Separator internals Separator control High-performance separator Design parameters Separator program Nomenclature Greek characters References Overpressure Protection Introduction Definition Types of pressure relief valves Selection of pressure relief valves PRV installation and line sizing Contingency quantification Sizing procedure SIL analysis Programming Nomenclature Greek characters References Glycol Dehydration Introduction Basic scheme Physical properties Design aspects Programming References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Software tools are a great aid to process engineers, but too much dependence on such tools can often lead to inappropriate and suboptimal designs. Reliance on software is also a hindrance without a firm understanding of the principles underlying its operation, since users are still responsible for devising the design. In Process Engineering and Design Using Visual Basic, Arun K. Datta provides a unique and versatile suite of programs along with simultaneous development of the underlying concepts, principles, and mathematics. Each chapter details the theory and techniques that provide the basis for design and engineering software and then showcases the development and utility of programs developed using the material outlined in the chapter. This all-inclusive guide works systematically from basic mathematics to fluid mechanics, separators, overpressure protection, and glycol dehydration, providing basic design guidelines based on international codes. Worked examples demonstrate the utility of each program, while the author also explains problems and limitations associated with the simulations. After reading this book you will be able to immediately put these programs into action and have total confidence in the result, regardless of your level of experience. Companion Visual Basic and Excel files are available for download on under the "Downloads/Updates" tab on this web page.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Arun Datta.
- Title Variation
- Process engineering and design using Visual Basic
- Also available in print format.
- Available in another form
- Print version: 9781439862803 (hardback)
- 9781439862810 (e-book : PDF)
- 1439862818 (electronic bk.)