Mass spectrometry for the novice
- John Greaves and John Roboz.
- Boca Raton : CRC Press, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- 1 online resource : text file, PDF
- Greaves, John (Director of Mass Spectrometry Facility), author.
- Roboz, John, 1931- author.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- An Overview A Brief History Definitions Concerning Instruments, Mass, m/z, and Ions Components of Instrument and Their Functions Definitions Concerning Instrument Performance Definitions Concerning Applications Information from Mass Spectra Diversity and Scope of Applications Instrumentation Sample Introduction Ion Sources and Methods of Ionization Mass Analyzers Ion Current Detectors Vacuum Systems Data Systems Methodologies and Strategies Measures of Instrument Performance Interpretation of Mass Spectra Analytical Techniques and Strategies Omics Biopolymers Imaging Mass Spectrometry Bioinformatics Buying a Mass Spectrometer Examples from Representative Publications An Open-Access Mass Spectrometry Facility Environmental: Organochlorines in Fish Environmental: Pharmaceuticals in Surface and Wastewaters Pharmacology: Lipitor Metabolism New Techniques: Paper Spray of Pharmaceuticals Petroleomics: Crude Oil Characterization Metabolomics: Disease Markers for a Tropical Disease Metabolomics: Chemical Defense Lipidomics: Coronary Artery Disease Proteomics: Protein Identification in a Painting Proteomics: Protein Identification and Metastasis Proteomics: Noncovalent Interactions Tissue Imaging The Absolute Essentials General Instrument Components Performance Parameters Techniques and Strategies Resources Books, Journals, Review Articles, Classical Publications Major Instrument Manufacturers Mass Spectrometry Societies, Blogs, and Discussion Groups The Mass Spectrometrist and the Internet.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781420094206 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- With usage of mass spectrometry continually expanding, an increasing number of scientists, technicians, students, and physicians are coming into contact with this valuable technique. Mass spectrometry has many uses, both qualitative and quantitative, from analyzing simple gases to environmental contaminants, pharmaceuticals, and complex biopolymers. The extraordinary versatility can make mass spectrometers daunting to novices. Consequently, new users would benefit greatly from an understanding of the basic concepts as well as the processes that occur in these instruments. Mass Spectrometry for the Novice provides exactly that, with detailed, straightforward descriptions and clear illustrations of principles of operations and techniques. The book begins with an overview that includes essential definitions and then provides information on the components of and the strategies used in the most common instruments. The authors discuss the methodologies available, classes of compounds analyzed, and the types of data that can be generated. A group of representative applications from published articles is summarized, demonstrating the diversity of mass spectrometry. The authors also condense the essentials of the topic into one invaluable chapter that provides a set of concise take-home messages on all aspects of mass spectrometry. The final section provides a collection of resources including books, reviews, and useful websites. Using simple language, new color figures, clever cartoons, and assuming no prior knowledge, this book provides a readily understandable entree to mass spectrometry. A CD-ROM with selected figures and cartoons is included.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781420094206 20160612
- Mass spectrometry.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Also available in print format.
- Available in another form
- Print version: ( 9781420094183 (pbk.) )
- 9781420094206 (e-book : PDF)
- 9781420094183 (pbk.)
- 1420094203 (e-book)