Gender research in natural resource management : building capacities in the Middle East and North Africa
- edited by Malika Abdelali-Martini and Aden Aw-Hassan.
- London : Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xvii, 278 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Earthscan studies in natural resource management.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. The Emergence of Capacity Development Initiative on Social and Gender Analysis in MENA Malika Abdelali-Martini and Liz Fajber
- 2. Marginalisation of Women's Work as a Result of Changes in Pastoral Societies and Natural Resources Mohamed Kanoun, Amel Meguellati-Kanoun, Malika Abdelali-Martini , Johann Huguenin, Mohamed Larbi Cherfaoui, Abdelhakim Ouzzane, Abdelmadjid Benmebarek, Malika Maamr and Souhila Fodil
- 3. The Potential Loss of Traditional Know-How of Qashabiya Production in Djelfa, Algeria Amel Meguellati-Kanoun, Malika Abdelali-Martini, Mohamed Kanoun, Abdelmadjid Benmebarek and Mohamed Benidir
- 4. Gender and Marketing of qashabiya in Djelfa (Algeria) Abdelmadjid Benmebarek, Mohamed Larbi Cherfaoui, H. Ouzane, Malika Abdelali-Martini, Amel Meguellati-Kanoun, Mohamed Kanoun and Souhila Fodil
- 5. Occupational Health Effects of Women Weavers and Prospects of Empowerment: Evidence from a Home-Based Activity in the Informal Sector in Djelfa, Algeria Malika Abdelali-Martini, Abdelmadjid Benmebarek and Amel Meguellati-Kanoun
- 6. Access of Rural Women Cooperatives to Markets in Lebanon: Barriers, Enablers and Options for Action Lina Abou Habib, Omar Traboulsi, Aziza Khalidi and Habbouba Aoun
- 7. Factors of Market Access Success for Traditional Food Industry in Lebanon: Some Themes Pertinent to Rural Women Cooperatives Lina Abou Habib, Omar Traboulsi, Aziza Khalidi and Habbouba Aoun
- 8. Gender Inequality in the Context of Climate Change: The Case of the Boudinar Commune in Morocco Abdellatif Khattabi, Manar Matah and Soumaya Ibrahim Huber
- 9. The Effects of Changes in Climate and Water Resources on Gender Inequality in Boudinar Community in Morocco: The Case Study Approach Abdellatif Khattabi, Soumaya Ibrahim Huber, Naima Faouzi and Manar Matah
- 10. SAS for Gender Research and Social Capital Enhancement Asmae Harrad, Fatima Zahid and Aden Aw-Hassan
- 11. Exclusion of Women from Local Development Initiative Doomed to Failure: The Case of the Middle Atlas Community of Maamar in Morocco Fatima Zahid, Siham Rohain, Karima Maani, Sbai Mohamed, Maria Fernandez and Aden Aw-Hassan
- 12. The Ripple Effect of the SAGA Research Process: The Case of Boudinar Community in Morocco Soumaya Ibrahim Huber and Abdellatif Khattabi
- 13. Capacity Building Effects of Social and Gender Analysis Project: Approach and Lessons Learnt Andrea Pape-Christiansen, Malika Abdelali-Martini and Aden Aw-Hassan
- 14. Conclusion Aden Aw-Hassan and Malika Abdelali-Martini.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
The aim of this book is to highlight the role that gender research can play in understanding natural resource management and rural development issues in the Middle East and North Africa region and how hands-on training and mentoring can be used as a capacity enhancement approach. It presents findings of four research teams, working in three countries, Algeria, Lebanon and Morocco. The approach was to build the capacity of national teams through hands-on field research, mentoring and technical support, which is different from traditional training. The chapters present the results of the case studies used as learning platforms for the teams and reflections on this approach. The case studies demonstrate the capacity and skills that the teams have acquired. These teams were multi-disciplinary and included social scientists as well as specialists in water management, livestock production and rangelands and agronomy. The book provides grounded empirical examples for MENA academics, practitioners and development students concerned about ensuring gender-balanced rural development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Earthscan studies in natural resource management
- 9780415728522 (hardback)
- 0415728525 (hardback)
- 9781315851655 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: