The Palgrave handbook of race and ethnic inequalities in education
- Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xxviii, 648 pages : ill. ; 24 cm.
LC212 .P35 2014
- Unknown LC212 .P35 2014
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. Introduction to the Handbook: Comparative Sociological Perspectives on Racial and Ethnic Inequality in Education-- Peter A. J. Stevens and A. Gary Dworkin 2. Argentina-- Analia Meo, Silvina Cimolai and Andrea Perez 3. Australia Lawrence J. Saha 4. Austria-- Barbara Herzog-Punzenberger and Philipp Schnell 5. Belgium (Flanders)-- Lore Van Praag, Peter A. J. Stevens and Mieke Van Houtte 6. Brazil-- Luiz Alberto Oliveira Goncalves, Natalino Neves da Silva and Nigel Brooke 7. Canada-- Katherine Lyon, Helene Frohard-Dourlent, Paul Fripp and Neil Guppy 8. China-- Hua-Yu Sebastian Cherng, Emily Hannum, and Chunping Lu 9. Cyprus-- Marios Vryonides and Spyros Spyrou 10. England-- Peter A. J. Stevens and Gill Crozier 11. Finland-- Paivi Harinen and M'hammed Sabour 12. France-- Mathieu Ichou and Agnes van Zanten 13. Germany-- Ingrid Gogolin and Tanja Salem 14. Ireland-- Daniel Faas and Rachael Fionda 15. Japan-- Kaori H. Okano 16. Russia-- Leokadia Drobizheva and David Konstantinovskiy 17. South Africa-- Shaheeda Essack and Duncan B. Hindle 18. The Netherlands-- Peter A. J. Stevens, Maurice Crul, Marieke Slootman, Clycq Noel, Christiane Timmerman and Mieke Van Houtte 19. USA-- A. Gary Dworkin and Ruth N. Lopez Turley 20. Researching Race and Ethnic Inequalities in Education: Key Findings and Future Directions-- Peter A. J. Stevens and A. Gary Dworkin.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This authoritative, state-of-the-art reference work provides the first systematic review to date of how sociologists have studied the relationship between race/ethnicity and educational inequality in eighteen different national contexts: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Cyprus, Finland, France, England, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Russia, South Africa, the Netherlands and the USA. Using a similar, comprehensive literature review methodology, national experts critically review how sociologists have studied race and ethnic inequalities in education over the last thirty years. The analysis focuses on the main research traditions that developed over time and their relationships with developments in social policy and social thought. This book ultimately integrates the findings of the national reviews and maps out new directions for future research. Additionally, the editors explore how national contexts of race/ethnic relations shape the character and content of educational inequalities. Global in its perspective and definitive in content, this one-stop volume will be an indispensable reference resource for a wide range of academics, students and researchers in the fields of education, sociology, race and ethnicity studies and social policy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Peter A.J. Stevens and A. Gary Dworkin.
- Palgrave Handbooks
- 0230304281 (cloth)
- 9780230304284 (cloth)
- 9781137317803 (PDF ebook)