And action! : directing documentaries in the social studies classroom
- Kathy Swan and Mark Hofer.
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xii, 165 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1584 .S935 2014||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword Preface Credits Chapter 1: Setting the Scene: A Rationale for Student Documentaries in the Classroom Chapter 2: Writing with Light: Preparing for a Documentary Project Chapter 3: Getting a Grip: Phase I - Research Chapter 4: Making the Pitch: Phase II - Documentary Treatment Chapter 5: Framing the Story: Phase III - Storyboarding Chapter 6: Quiet on the set! Phase IV - Film Production Chapter 7: Premiering the Films: Sharing Student Work Chapter 8: It's a Wrap: Parting Thoughts to Executive Producers Appendix A: Documentary Rubric Appendix B: Core Argument Template Appendix C: Sample Core Argument Template Appendix D: Documentary Treatment Template Appendix E: Sample Documentary Treatment Template Appendix F: Storyboard Template Appendix G: Documentary Tool Comparison Chart Appendix H: Student Production Role Checklist.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475801484 20160613
- Publisher's Summary
- And Action! Directing Documentaries in the Social Studies Classroom provides social studies educators with the background knowledge, conceptual understanding, and tools necessary to design and facilitate classroom documentary projects in the K-12 social studies classroom. The authors have spent more than ten years in classrooms working collaboratively with teachers to design and research classroom documentary projects. Recognizing the challenges of this kind of work, the authors partnered with filmmakers, historians, educational technologists, and classroom teachers with experience in leading documentary projects to refine a production process that more closely mirrors the work of filmmakers. With this book, the authors draw on all of these experiences to assist social studies educators to efficiently and effectively structure and assess documentary projects. Educators will learn ways to transition student learning away from "digital encyclopedia entries" toward a more authentic documentary approach that focuses on disciplined inquiry and the use of evidenced-based arguments.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781475801484 20160613
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Includes index.
- 9781475801477 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1475801475 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781475801484 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1475801483 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781475801491 (electronic)
- 1475801491 (electronic bk.)
- 9781475801491 (electronic bk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: