A manual for the identification of plant seeds and fruits
- R.T.J. Cappers & R.M. Bekker.
- Groningen, Netherlands : Barkhuis : University of Groningen Library, 2013.
- Physical description
- 273 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 25 cm.
- Groningen archaeological studies ; v. 23.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QK660 .C37 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 12-13) and indexes.
- Publisher's Summary
- The taxonomic identification of individual seeds and fruits of wild and cultivated plants is not always straightforward. The specialist literature and botanical reference collections can be helpful, and knowing where to begin reading and comparing can save a considerable amount of time. We wrote A Manual for the Identification of Plant Seeds and Fruits to make your search easier. It describes the inflorescence(s) and infructescence(s) seen in each of a set of 19 plant families, as well as the morphology of its seeds and fruits (with special emphasis on fruit typology); the dispersal units (diaspores); and, if present, heterocarpism and seed dimorphism. The manual is richly illustrated with 460 colour photos of inflorescences, infructescences, seeds, and fruits. Each entry concludes with a concise seed atlas that depicts the variation in the individual plant family's seed and fruit forms. A Manual for the Identification of Plant Seeds and Fruits includes the following plant families: Amaranthaceae Apiaceae Asteraceae Boraginaceae Brassicaceae Caryophyllaceae Convolvulaceae Cyperaceae Fabaceae Geraniaceae Juncaceae Lamiaceae Malvaceae Plantaginaceae Poaceae Polygonaceae Ranunculaceae.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789491431265 20160613
- Publication date
- Groningen archaeological studies ; v. 23
- 9789491431265 (hd.bd.)
- 9491431269 (hd.bd.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: