Hunting in northern Europe until 1500 AD : old traditions and regional developments, continental sources and continental influences : papers presented at a workshop organized by the Centre for Baltic and Scandinavian Archaeology (ZBSA), Schleswig, June 16th and 17th, 2011
- edited by Oliver Grimm und Ulrich Schmölcke.
- Neumünster : Wachholtz, 2013.
- Physical description
- 631 pages : illustrations (some color), maps ; 30 cm.
- Schriften des Archäologischen Landesmuseums. Ergänzungsreihe ; Bd. 7.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- The hunting workshop and its publication / Oliver Grimm and Ulrich Schmölcke
- The transition from the last hunters to the first farmers
- From the Mesolithic to the Neolithic : hunting strategies in the south-western Baltic Sea area / Sönke Hartz and Ulrich Schmölcke
- Hunting in the long run : some chosen aspects (Stone age to medieval times)
- Prehistoric reindeer hunting in south-west Norway with emphasis on the period 1000 BC to AD 1000 : overview, retrospect and perspectives / Sveinung Bang-Andersen
- 'Industrial' reindeer hunting in the south Norwegian mountains in the Viking Age and Early Middle Ages / Svein Indrelid
- Late Upper and Late Palaeolithic reindeer hunting in the Ahrensburg tunnel valley : differences between Hamburgian and Ahrensburgian hunting tactics / Mara-Julia Weber
- A short history of seals and seal populations in northern European waters / Ulrich Schmölcke
- Seal hunting at the Baltic Sea coast : a case study from the Late Mesolithic and earliest Neolithic Neustadt in Holstein, Germany / Aikaterini Glykou
- Barbed points through time : a hunting weapon between ethnoarchaeological argumentation and functional analysis / Ulf Ickerodt
- Mesolithic Dogs / Peter Vang Petersen
- Dogs in the Danish Viking age : the Ladby ship and other finds / Bodil Holm Sørensen
- The evidence for hunting dogs from Mesolithic times up to the Viking age from a zoological point of view : a survey / Ulrich Schmölcke
- From Stone age hunting bow to medieval weapon of war : selected examples of bows and arrows in the North / Harm Paulsen
- Late Bronze age and Hallstatt/early la Tène hunting
- Late Bronze age hunting in middle Sweden : evidence from "King Bjorn's mound" in Håga and the surrounding settlements / Maria Vretemark
- Hunting in the Hallstatt and early la Tène cultures : the economic and social importance / Peter Trebsche
- Hunting in the Hallstatt period : the example of the Eberdingen-Hochdorf "princely grave" / Leif Hansen
- Roman and late ancient Germanic hunting
- Hunting in the Roman period / Thomas Fischer
- Late ancient Germanic hunting in Gaul based on selected archaeological examples / Christoph Reichmann
- Bear hunting in the 1st millennium AD
- Bear-skins in northern European burials and some remarks on other bear-related furnishings in the north and middle of Europe in the 1st millennium AD / Oliver Grimm
- Svá beitum vér bjórnuna a morkinni norđr : bear hunting and its ideological context (as a background for the interpretation of bear claws and other remains of bears in Germanic graves of the 1st millennium AD) / Sigmund Oehrl
- Hunting in the long run : noble and royal hunt (AD 350-1500)
- Wiesbaden-Breckenheim, Tissø and beyond : some methodological remarks on bones of wild animals from continental and southern Scandinavian centres of power in parts of the 1st millennium AD / Oliver Grimm
- Early falconry in central Europe on the basis of grave finds, with a discussion of the origin of falconry / Claus Dobiat
- Falconry in continental settlements as reflected by animal bones from the 6th to 12th centuries AD / Wietske Prummel
- The Vendel Period royal follower's grave at Swedish Rickeby as starting point for reflections about falconry in Northern Europe / Maria Vretemark
- Continental royal seats, royal hunting lodges and deer parks seen in the mirror of medieval written sources / Martina Giese.
- Publication date
- Schriften des Archäologischen Landesmuseums. Ergänzungsreihe ; Bd. 7
- International conference proceedings.
- 9783529018770 (pbk.)
- 3529018775 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: