Reforming a school system, reviving a city : the promise of Say yes to education in Syracuse
- Gene I. Maeroff.
- First edition.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Physical description
- xi, 227 pages ; 25 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2817.4 .N7 M34 2013||Unknown|
- Maeroff, Gene I.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 203-211) and index.
- 1. The Stakes 2. Say Yes to Education 3. Elements of Collaboration 4. Getting Started in Syracuse 5. Teaching and Learning 6. Outside Influences on the Classroom 7. Extended Time for Learning 8. Making Time More Productive 9. Weaving a Web of Social and Emotional Support 10. Getting Ready for College 11. A Summer Bridge 12. Paying the Bills 13. Lifting the City 14. Putting It All in Perspective.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137349651 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Can a bold investment in education turn around the economy of an entire city? Gene I. Maeroff, a former education reporter for the New York Times, explores how the nonprofit group Say Yes to Education has instituted a network of reforms in Syracuse, New York, that supports students at every level from kindergarten through college. He traces out how Say Yes and the Syracuse school district built a coalition of partners in business, education, and local and state government, implemented a series of programs to improve the school system, and reached out to support students. Telling the story and identifying the strengths of this remarkable and replicable program, Maeroff shows how this focused, directed, and broad-based coalition has created a model for reviving the economy and civic fabric of American cities by investing in children's education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781137349651 20160612
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- School districts > New York (State) > Syracuse.
- School management and organization > New York (State) > Syracuse.
- School supervision > New York (State) > Syracuse.
- Educational change > New York (State) > Syracuse.
- Education and state > New York (State) > Syracuse.
- Civic improvement > New York (State) > Syracuse.
- Publication date
- 9781137346827 (hardback)
- 1137346825 (hardback)
- 9781137349651 (paperback)
- 1137349654 (paperback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: