Breviary for use of Dominican nuns : manuscript codex
- Latin. In Latin with some rubrics in German.
- [Southern Germany : Diocese of Bamberg, 1460-1490]
- Physical description
- 1 volume (164 parchment leaves), 100 x 70 mm.
- Corporate Author
- Catholic Church.
- This miniature Breviary is well-thumbed, probably a personal volume that could be carried in a pocket or sleeve of a nun. Not a complete Breviary with the full text of the Divine Office; instead, this manuscript includes the auxiliary Offices and prayers that were said throughout the day in addition to the Office, together with Compline, and other selected texts from the Office. Only Psalms 22-30 are copied, many of them with only their first line or "cue." The desire to produce a personal and portable volume may explain the contents of the volume.
- Dominican sisters > History > Germany > Sources.
- Monastic and religious life of women > History > Middle Ages, 600-1500.
- Women > Religious life > Germany > History > To 1500 > Sources.
- Bamberg (Germany) > Church history > Middle Ages, 600-1500.
- Earliest possible date
- Latest possible date
- Written in a hybrid script in sixteen long lines, rubrics, one- to two-line red initials.
- Printed description from an English bookseller, cat. no. 167, laid in; inside front cover, "16741, " in pencil; "170" in ink, and "43" in pencil.
- Original binding in bevelled wooden boards covered with leather. Indications of a strap with a hole in the upper board for the clasp.
- Twenty-eight fore-edge tabs marking the beginning of texts.
- Open for research; material must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Purchased, 2014. Accession 2014-011.
- The saints in the calendar and litany provide evidence that this was copied for a Dominican convent. It includes saints venerated in southern Germany, and in particular, the diocese of Bamberg. The saints in the calendar also date the manuscript to after 1462 and before 1481. [See dealer notes in depository for more information.]
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: