Climate change, air pollution and global challenges [electronic resource] : understanding and perspectives from forest research
- edited by R. Matyssek...[et al.].
- Burlington : Elsevier Science, 2013.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (647 p.)
- Developments in environmental science.
- Matyssek, Rainer.
- Front Cover; Climate Change, Air Pollution and Global Challenges: Understanding and Perspectives from Forest Research; Copyright; Contents; Contributors; Preface; Part I: Introduction into the Scope and Structure of the Book; Chapter 1: Climate Change, Air Pollution and Global Challenges: Understanding and Perspectives from Forest Research; 1.1. Why Write This Book?; 1.2. Aims, Scope and Rationale; 1.3. Overview of the Book's Structure; Acknowledgements; References; Part II: Interactions Between Trace Gases, Climate Change and Vegetation
- Chapter 2: Gaseous Exchange Between Forests and the Atmosphere2.1. Introduction; 2.2. Trace Gas Emissions from the Forest Floor; 2.3. Effects of Forest Fires; 2.4. Ozone Deposition; 2.4.1. Stomatal Uptake; 2.4.2. Non-Stomatal Sinks; 2.4.3. Up-Scaling and Measurements; 2.5. Interactions with Atmospheric Composition and Climate; 2.6. Conclusions and Further Research Directions; Acknowledgements; References; Chapter 3: Nutrients or Pollutants? Nitrogen Deposition to European Forests; 3.1. Introduction; 3.2. Effects of Nitrogen Deposition to Forest Ecosystems
- 3.2.1. What are the Typical Detrimental Effects of Nitrogen Deposition?3.3. The Components of Nitrogen Deposition; 3.3.1. Wet Deposition by Rainfall and Snow; 184.108.40.206. Wet-Only Deposition; 220.127.116.11. Bulk Deposition; 18.104.22.168. Deposition by Snow; 3.3.2. Occult Deposition by Fog; 3.3.3. Dry Deposition of Gases and Aerosol Particles; 22.214.171.124. Methods for Field Measurement; 126.96.36.199. Contribution to Total N Deposition; 3.4. Recent Developments to Assess Effects on Tree Growth; 3.4.1. Dendrometric Measurements; 3.4.2. Net Ecosystem Productivity Measurements
- 3.5. Policy Relevance of the Knowledge on Nitrogen DepositionAcknowledgements; References; Chapter 4: Biogenic Volatile Organic Compounds and Their Impacts on Biosphere-Atmosphere Interactions; 4.1. Generalities on Biogenic Volatile Organic Compounds; 4.2. BVOC and the Atmosphere: Fluxes and Concentrations (Sinks, Sources); 4.3. BVOC and Plant Physiology and Ecology: Membrane Protection, Anti-oxidants, Plant Communication; 4.4. BVOC and Climate Change: Warmer=More Fragrant World?; References; Chapter 5: Air Pollution Risks to Northern European Forests in a Changing Climate; 5.1. Introduction
- 5.2. Interactions and Feedbacks5.3. Risk of Impacts; 5.3.1. Approach; 5.3.2. Climate Change versus Emission Reductions; 188.8.131.52. Current Situation; 184.108.40.206. Climate Change; 220.127.116.11. Emission Reductions; 5.3.3. Arctic Shipping; 5.4. Discussion and Conclusions; Acknowledgements; References; Part III: Significance of Biotic Processes in Forest Ecosystem Response; Chapter 6: Ozone Research, Quo Vadis? Lessons from the Free-Air Canopy Fumigation Experiment at Kranzberg Forest; 6.1. Introduction; 6.2. Ozone as Part of Factorial Complexes; 6.3. The Kranzberg Forest Experiment as a Starting Point
- Publisher's Summary
- There are significant pressures from climate change and air pollution that forests currently face. This book aims to increase understanding of the state and potential of forest ecosystems to mitigate and adapt to climate change in a polluted environment. It reconciles process-oriented research, long-term monitoring and applied modeling through comprehensive forest ecosystem research. Furthermore, it introduces "forest super sites for research for integrating soil, plant and atmospheric sciences and monitoring. It also provides mechanistic and policy-oriented modeling with scientifically sound risk indications regarding atmospheric changes and ecosystem services. * Identifies current knowledge gaps and emerging research needs* Highlights novel methodologies and integrated research concepts* Assesses ecological meaning of investigations and prioritizing research need.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780080983493 20160612
- Publication date
- Developments in Environmental Science
- 6.3.1. Motivation of the Experiment
- Available in another form
- Print version: Matyssek, Rainer Climate Change, Air Pollution and Global Challenges : Understanding and Perspectives from Forest Research Burlington : Elsevier Science, c2013 ( 9780080983493 )
- 9780080983424 (electronic bk.)
- 0080983421 (electronic bk.)