Toward a new common school movement
- Noah De Lissovoy, Alexander J. Means, Kenneth J. Saltman.
- Boulder : Paradigm Publishers, 
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- viii, 125 pages ; 23 cm.
- Critical interventions (Boulder, Colo.)
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA212 .D45 2013||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Beyond the failure of neoliberal schooling
- From the commons to the common
- A brief history of educational conflict
- The dual crisis of neoliberalism and progressive education
- Commoning public schooling
- Toward a pedagogy in common
- Globalization, the common, and curriculum
- Steps forward: organization and action
- Coda: common movements in action.
- Publisher's Summary
- "Toward a New Common School Movement" is a bold and urgent call to action.The authors argue that corporate school reform in the United States represents a failed project subverted by profiteering, corruption, and educational inequalities."Toward a New Common School Movement" suggests that educational privatization and austerity are not simply bad policies but represent a broader redistribution of control over social life-that is, the enclosure of the global commons. This condition requires far more than a liberal defense of public schooling. It requires recovering elements of the radical progressive educational tradition while generating a new language of the common suitable to the unique challenges of the global era. "Toward a New Common School Movement" traces the history of struggles over public schooling in the United States and provides a set of ethical principles for enacting the commons in educational policy, finance, labor, curriculum, and pedagogy. Ultimately, it argues for global educational struggles in common for a just and sustainable future beyond the crises of neoliberalism and predatory capitalism.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781612054407 20160612
- Public schools.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Critical interventions : politics, culture, and the promise of democracy
- 9781612054407 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1612054404 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: