Birds of the Serengeti : and Ngorongoro conservation area
- Adam Scott Kennedy.
- Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, c2014.
- Physical description
- 224 p. : col. ill., col. map ; 21 cm.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QL692 .T35 K46 2014||Unknown|
- Kennedy, Adam Scott.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 210-211) and index.
- About this book 9 The habitats 12 Plains 13 Marsh & water 14 Woodland, scrub & garden 15 Acacia scrub 16 Village 17 Forest 18 Up in the air 19 Nightbirds 20 Lake Victoria specials 21 Map of the Serengeti & Ngorongoro Conservation Area - NCA 22 BIRDS OF THE PLAINS The Big Ones: 1 - Ostrich 24 The Big Ones: 2 - Secretarybird & Grey Crowned Crane 26 Bustards - Kori, Black-bellied & White-bellied Bustards 28 Small plover & coursers - Double-banded & Temminck's Coursers & Kittlitz's Plover 30 Vanellus plovers - Crowned, Senegal & Black-winged Plovers 32 Sandgrouse - Black-faced, Yellow-throated & Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse 34 Storks & ground hornbill - White & Abdim's Storks & Southern Ground Hornbill 36 At the carcass - Marabou Stork & Ruppell's & White-backed Vultures 38 Vultures - White-headed, Hooded & Lappet-faced Vultures 40 Vultures in flight - all species for comparison 42 Black-and-white eagles & Egyptian Vulture - Martial & Black-chested Snake Eagles & Egyptian Vulture 44 Black-and-white eagles - Verreaux's Eagle, Augur Buzzard & Bateleur 46 Brown raptors - Black Kite & Tawny & Steppe Eagles 48 Raptors in flight - all species for comparison 50 Grey raptors - Pallid & Montagu's Harriers & African Harrier Hawk 52 Large falcon & grey kite - Lanner Falcon & Black-shouldered Kite 54 Small falcons - Grey, Common & Lesser Kestrels 56 Rollers - Lilac-breasted & Eurasian Rollers 58 Oxpeckers & starling - Red-billed & Yellow-billed Oxpeckers & Wattled Starling 60 Little brown jobs or 'LBJs' - Pectoral-patch & Zitting Cisticolas & Red-capped & Rufous-naped Larks 62 Sparrow lark & chats - Fischer's Sparrow Lark & Sooty & Anteater Chats 64 Wheatears - Capped, Northern & Pied Wheatears 66 Upright birds of the plains - Yellow-throated & Rosy-breasted Longclaws & Buffy & Grassland Pipits 68 Bishop & widowbirds - Yellow Bishop & Yellow-mantled & Jackson's Widowbirds 70 BIRDS OF MARSH & WATER Flamingos - Greater & Lesser Flamingos 72 Wetland storks - Woolly-necked, Yellow-billed & African Open-billed Storks 74 Stork & ibises - Saddle-billed Stork & Sacred & Hadada Ibises 76 Small herons - Hamerkop & Striated & Squacco Herons 78 Large, dark herons - Goliath, Grey & Black-headed Herons 80 Egrets - Cattle, Little & Great White Egrets 82 Fish eagle - African Fish Eagle 84 Smaller ducks - Red-billed Teal & White-faced Whistling & Fulvous Whistling Ducks 86 Larger wildfowl - Spur-winged & Egyptian Geese & Knob-billed Duck 88 Birds of the water's edge - Black-winged Stilt, African Jacana & Black Crake 90 Wetland plovers - African Wattled, Blacksmith & Spur-winged Plovers 92 Waders: 1 - Water Thick-knee & Ruff 94 Waders: 2 - Common Greenshank, Marsh Sandpiper & Three-banded Plover 96 Waders: 3 - Wood, Common & Green Sandpipers 98 Kingfishers - Giant, Malachite & Pied Kingfishers 100 Wagtails & waxbill - Yellow & African Pied Wagtails & Common Waxbill 102 BIRDS OF WOODLand, SCRUB & GARDEN Open woodland raptors - Brown Snake & Long-crested Eagles & Steppe Buzzard 104 Bustard, thick-knee & courser - Buff-crested Bustard, Spotted Thick-knee & Heuglin's Courser 106 Spurfowl - Red-necked, Grey-breasted & Yellow-necked Spurfowl 108 Gamebirds - Helmeted Guineafowl & Coqui & Crested Francolins 110 'Collared' doves - Ring-necked, African Mourning & Red-eyed Doves 112 Distinctive pigeons & doves - Speckled & African Green Pigeons & Emerald-spotted Wood Dove 114 Doves & mousebird - Namaqua & Laughing Doves & Speckled Mousebird 116 Parrots & hornbill - Fischer's Lovebird, Meyer's Parrot & African Grey Hornbill 118 Large cuckoos & relatives - White-browed Coucal, Red-chested Cuckoo & Bare-faced Go-away-bird 120 Three green gems - Klaas's & Diederik Cuckoos & Little Bee-eater 122 Bush kingfishers - Striped, Woodland & Grey-headed Kingfishers 124 Hoopoes - Green Wood-hoopoe, Common Scimitarbill & Hoopoe 126 Barbets - Usambiro & Spot-flanked Barbets & Red-fronted Tinkerbird 128 Honeyguides & woodpecker - Greater & Lesser Honeyguides & Bearded Woodpecker 130 Woodpeckers - Green-backed, Nubian & Cardinal Woodpeckers 132 Large bushshrikes & oriole - Grey-headed Bushshrike, Tropical Boubou & Black-headed Oriole 134 Small black-and-white birds - Brown-throated Wattle-eye, Chin-spot Batis & Black-backed Puffback 136 White-fronted shrikes - Common & Grey-backed Fiscals & Northern White-crowned Shrike 138 Black birds of woodland edge - Common Drongo, Slate-coloured Boubou & Northern Black Flycatcher 140 Tchagras & bulbul - Brown-crowned & Black-crowned Tchagras, Common Bulbul 142 Thrushes, scrub robin & babbler - Spotted Morning & Olive Thrushes, White-browed Scrub Robin & Arrow-marked Babbler 144 Attractive flycatchers of woods & gardens - White-eyed Slaty & African Paradise Flycatcher 146 Little brown jobs or 'LBJs' - Rattling Cisticola, Red-faced Crombec & Tawny-flanked Prinia 148 Green warblers - Yellow-breasted Apalis, Grey-backed Camaroptera & Grey-capped Warbler 150 Sunbirds: 1 - Scarlet-chested, Collared & Variable Sunbirds 152 Sunbirds: 2 - Marico, Beautiful & Bronze Sunbirds 154 Colourful birds of bush & garden - White-browed Robin Chat & Ruppell's & Greater Blue-eared Starlings 156 Brightly coloured starlings - Superb, Hildebrandt's & Violet-backed Starlings 158 Yellow weavers - Spectacled, Baglafecht & Village Weavers 160 Waxbills - Purple Grenadier, Red-cheeked Cordon-bleu & Bronze Mannikin 162 Striking small birds of open bush - Pin-tailed Whydah, Golden-breasted Bunting & Yellow-fronted Canary 164 BIRDS OF ACACIA SCRUB Acacia barbets & go-away-bird - Red-and-yellow & Red-fronted Barbets & White-bellied Go-away-bird 166 Medium-sized birds of acacia scrub - Blue-naped Mousebird, Abyssinian Scimitarbill & Von der Decken's Hornbill 168 Shrikes - Brubru, Taita Fiscal & Magpie Shrike 170 Small birds of acacia scrub - Silverbird, African Grey Flycatcher, White-bellied Canary & Foxy Lark 172 Acacia weavers: 1 - Grey-capped Social, Speckle-fronted & Vitelline Masked Weavers 174 Acacia weavers: 2 - Red-billed Buffalo, White-headed Buffalo & Rufous-tailed Weavers 176 VILLAGE BIRDS Village sparrows - Swahili, Kenya Rufous & House Sparrows 178 Common village birds - Red-billed Firefinch, Village Indigobird & Pied Crow 180 FOREST & CRATER HIGHLandS BIRDS Large forest birds - White-necked Raven, Schalow's Turaco & Crowned Hornbill 182 Small birds of forest edge & open areas - Cinnamon-chested Bee-eater, Streaky Seedeater & African Stonechat 184 BIRDS OF THE AIR Black swallows & dark martins - Black & White-headed Saw-wings & Plain & Banded Martins 186 Swallows with red rumps - Mosque, Red-rumped, Rufous-chested & Lesser Striped Swallows 188 Swallows with dark rumps - Wire-tailed, Angola & Barn Swallows 190 Swifts - Little, White-rumped, African Palm, Nyanza & Common Swifts 192 Bee-eaters - Eurasian, Blue-cheeked & White-throated Bee-eaters 194 NIGHT BIRDS Owls - Pearl-spotted Owlet, Verreaux's Eagle Owl & African Scops Owlbr 196 Barn Owl & nightjars - Barn Owl & Square-tailed / Gabon & Slender-tailed Nightjars 198 LAKE VICTORIA SPECIALS Birds of the lakeside - Blue-headed Coucal, Swamp Flycatcher & Black-headed Gonolek 200 Sunbird & weavers - Red-chested Sunbird & Grosbeak & Slender-billed Weavers 202 Lakeside weavers - Northern Brown-throated, Golden-backed & Yellow-backed Weavers 204 Terns & gull - Whiskered & White-winged Black Terns & Grey-headed Gull 206 Cormorants & small plovers - Reed & Great Cormorants & White-fronted & Common Ringed Plovers 208 Further reading & useful resources210 Acknowledgements 211 Photographic credits 212 Scientific names of the bird species included in this book 213 Index 217 Short Index inside back cover.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691159102 20160612
- Publisher's Summary
- Located in northern Tanzania, the Serengeti is one of the world's most famous wildlife regions. Birds of the Serengeti is a groundbreaking and essential photographic guide, featuring more than 270 bird species most likely to be encountered in the Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Conservation Area. This easy-to-use guide includes 480 dazzling color photos, an attractive and handy layout, and informative and accessible text that discusses interesting behaviors and provides insights into species background. Rich in detail, this indispensable volume uses a habitat-based approach, making it simple for everyone-from the novice to the experienced birdwatcher-to locate diverse birds in this fascinating area of the world. Looks at more than 270 bird species most likely to be encountered in Tanzania's Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, and Speke Gulf Features major plumage variations Habitat-based approach Informative and accessible text.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780691159102 20160612
- Publication date
- 0691159106 (pbk.)
- 9780691159102 (pbk.)
- 9781400850815 (e-book)
- 9781306142700 (MyiLibrary)
Browse related items
Start at call number: